Thoughts on Chrome OS?

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Google had a long event on Google Chrome two months ago where they showed off their future operating system, which is basically just the Google Chrome browser.

I was lucky enough to receive a Cr-48 from their pilot program and so far I'm impressed with it although I'm a bit disappointed at many things that I could no longer do on it (http://www.techairlines.com/2011/02/25/cr-48-chrome-notebook/)

For me, I think it has potential and I might consider buying a notebook/netbook with Chrome OS in the future but it all depends on the pricing. After all, it technically can do less than a regular netbook so I wouldn't really want to pay the same for less.

There really needs to be a better offline mode. There's not much that can be done without the internet on this computer.

So what are everyone's thoughts on Chrome OS? Do you think it has potential in the future competing with Microsoft, Apple, etc... ?

Google Chrome OS Site: http://www.google.com/chromeos

Last edited:

krofunk

Reaction score
good idea, but I worry about the lack of features at the moment. I know that these netbooks are designed for the net, but the idea of a laptop that can only use the internet and nothing else...lets just say it doesn't feel right

denzil

Reaction score
Lol that's definitely not made for South Africa (where I'm from).

creastery

Reaction score
Congrats on getting a Cr-48 :)
Though I like the idea of it only being able to surf the net (Especially the bootup time :D), but of course one is unable to do a lot of things with it.

Hope Chrome OS can be further improved in both the interface as well as features.

Reaction score
We probably won't have to worry too much about the Chrome OS getting more or less features. The last thing that I heard was that the Chrome OS is going to be discontinued. Google won't be doing anything more with it. I read that somewhere on TechSpot's website I believe. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read.

I think Google made their own OS just to say that it's something else that they accomplished. And other than just being able to use it on the internet, I think they probably did a pretty good job of it. I haven't tested it yet, but it's Google.

I have a running joke with a couple of my friends that Google is going to rule the world some day. Who knows? Maybe this is their next step haha.

pogodoknow60

Reaction score
So what are everyone's thoughts on Chrome OS? Do you think it has potential in the future competing with Microsoft, Apple, etc... ?

Google Chrome OS Site: http://www.google.com/chromeos

Will see for later and for much later i think :tongue:,but currently microsoft r microsoft its more real to compare google chrome and mac they may be competition each other:smile:, but who knows..ill be glad see any of them rise.

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Will see for later and for much later i think :tongue:,but currently microsoft r microsoft its more real to compare google chrome and mac they may be competition each other:smile:, but who knows..ill be glad see any of them rise.
Nice and Practical.
But if we closely watch the Smart Phone market,Chrome is proving good there.
Now they are to reach companies like dell and Hp to market their product(which is free ofcourse).
Else ads on TV will do_Only then companies will make drivers(linux already is there) for Chrome for all hardware even though its based on linux ..it is different a bit.

rodpeterson48

Reaction score
I hope it is successful (competition is always good), I know I will be buying one.
If they can keep the price down... i think it will sell pretty well.

henk506673

Reaction score
chrome os will not be a good idea because not everyone always has acess to the internet and that can harm some people who will use it as their primary laptop.

tjrana0

Reaction score
Chrome OS is quite unique. There are some things I don't like about it. It doesn't even have Java support.

Last edited:

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
The new Chromebooks have been announced this week at Google I/O 2011.

http://www.google.com/chromebook/

They are being manufactured by Samsung and Acer. The Samsung models are expected to price at $425 (Wi-fi only) and $499 (Wi-fi + 3G). I find these prices a bit higher considering that this computer can do less than a typical netbook, which usually costs from ~275-500, and having better battery life isn't going to attract someone to pay more to do less. Acer's model is smaller at around $350.

I've gotten quite used to the Cr-48 keyboard and I even find myself pressing the Caps lock on other computers to open a new tab. They just introduced a new file manager recently, which also means support for external media drives.

Last edited:

Interscopia

x10 Caffeine Addict
Prime Account
Reaction score
I wouldn't pay for a chromebook. I dislike android enough as it is.

Reaction score
So, as anyone bought one of the ChromeBooks yet? Or has anyone tested out the ChromeOS yet? I would like to know how it runs.

vv.bbcc19

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
chrome os is free but they should of subsidized the chromebooks too.they are a bit expensive for the features offered.