Timing of the FTPed files to my site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

akx10mxa

Reaction score
I design my site locally and ftp the files. It's just the way I've always done it and it works. However I've occasionally uploaded images or css files to change my site and immediately go and test. It seems like there is a lag of maybe minutes for some (not all) of the changes to hit the site. Is this a fact, or am I crazy.
Yes, I'm hitting refresh several times in the browser.
Sometimes it's the css shows up or the html files itself do but the background images don't. Just curious.

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
It seems like there is a lag of maybe minutes for some (not all) of the changes to hit the site.
x10hosting recently implemented a different web-server-software setup on their free-hosting servers - which is a combination of the Apache web server and the Varnish cache server
the cache server maybe why there is a delay before you 'see' the file - after you upload it - or see a new post

the caching time (delay) is about 5 seconds for dynamic content and 5 minutes for static content

staff has said - to override [ Varnish cache ] try adding the following line to your [ .htaccess ] file in folder [ public_html ]
Code:
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=0, private, no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate"

You can also check at [ http://isvarnishworking.com ] to see if the .htaccess modification is working. It should say "Yes! Sort of." and then you should see the Cache-Control header underneath

see --> [ https://x10hosting.com/support/general/varnish-cache ]

Last edited:

mduffyx1

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with a different WSP a few years back. Turns out, one of their servers had a bad clock, and nobody bothered to resync it until asked. When it was 5 min slow, I had to wait 5 min for my new content, etc. Cache servers it the system needed to wait until new content was "newer" than old content.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Of course, disabling the cache does mean losing benefits too, so possibly slower loading times depending on server load etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.