To all those who died (Viriginia Tech Students)

Chris Z

Reaction score
BLACKSBURG, Va., April 16 — The gunshots were so slow and steady that some students thought they came from a nearby construction site, until they saw the police officers with rifles pointed at Norris Hall, the engineering building at Virginia Tech. Bang. Bang. Bang.

They went on and on, for what seemed like 10 or 15 or 20 minutes, an eternity with punctuation.
Bang. Bang. On the third floor of Norris Hall, Scott L. Hendricks, a professor, looked out the window of his office and saw students crawling away from the building.

Bang. Tiffany Otey’s accounting class crammed into an office and locked themselves in, crying in fright.

Every so often, the shots paused for a minute or so. That was the gunman, who was in the midst of the worst shooting rampage in American history, stopping to reload. When it was over, 33 people, including the gunman, were dead and at least 15 more were injured.

“I was terrified,” said Ms. Otey, a junior whose class met in the room above the one where much of the shooting took place.

One student finished the day’s assignment and tried to leave, but returned to tell the others that the hall was full of smoke and that there were police officers everywhere. The class decided to go into a room with a lock. Dr. Hendricks, an engineering and mechanics professor on the same floor, barricaded himself in his office, pushing a bookcase in front of the door. Some students on campus took refuge in the library, searching the Web to find out what was happening. No one knew.

“I was crying,” Ms. Otey said. “I was worried that the guy with the gun was going to come upstairs, too.”

The violence began early in the morning at West Ambler Johnston, the largest dormitory at Virginia Tech, where two people were killed, officials said. But when the first class started two hours later, at 9:05 a.m., many on campus remained unaware of any danger.

“I woke up and I didn’t know anything was wrong,” said Sarah Ulmer, a freshman who lives in East Ambler Johnston. “I went to my first class and my teacher was talking about how some people weren’t coming because there was a gun threat at West A. J. and they were blocking it off. It was like, ‘Oh.’
“The university did not notify students by e-mail of the first shootings until 9:26 a.m., said Matt Dixon, who lives in the dorm. Mr. Dixon did not receive the e-mail message until he returned from his 9:05 class. When he left for that class, he said, a resident adviser told him not to use the central stairs, so he left another way.

On dry erase boards, advisers had written, “Stay in your rooms,” Mr. Dixon said.
Other students and faculty members said they had only a vague notion that there had been a shooting at the dorm. Several faculty members said they had reached campus during or just after the Norris Hall shooting and had gone unimpeded to their buildings.

Many were bewildered or angry that the campus had not been locked down after the first incident.
“I am outraged at what happened today on the Virginia Tech campus,” wrote Huy That Ton, a member of the chemical engineering faculty, in an e-mail message. “Countless lives could have been saved if they had informed the student body of the first shooting. What was the security department thinking?!”

Campus officials said that they believed that the first incident was confined to a single building and was essentially a domestic dispute, and that they had had no idea that the violence would spread.

The police said they still did not know if the two shootings were the work of the same gunman.
The gunman in Norris Hall was described as a young Asian with two pistols who calmly entered classrooms and shot professors and students. He peeked into the German class in Room 207, witnesses said, then pushed his way in.

Gene Cole, who works in Virginia Tech’s housekeeping services, was on the second floor of Norris Hall this morning and saw a person lying on a hallway floor, he told The Roanoke Times. As Mr. Cole went up to the body, a man wearing a hat and holding a gun stepped into the hallway. “Someone stepped out of a classroom and started shooting at me,” he said. Mr. Cole fled down the corridor, then down a flight of steps to safety. “All I saw was blood in the hallways,” Mr. Cole said.

The gunman was described as methodical, squeezing the trigger almost rhythmically. “Sometimes there would be like a minute or so break in between them, but for the most part, it was one right after another,” Ms. Otey said.

Elaine Goss of Waynesboro, Va., said she first spoke to her son, Alec Calhoun, a student, about 9:30 a.m., after he had leapt from a second-story classroom window as the gunman entered.

“I couldn’t understand him. It was like gibberish,” Ms. Goss said. “It took a while to figure out shootings, lots of shootings, and that his whole class had jumped out the window.” He landed on his back, and “we made him go to the emergency room,” she said.

Two of his fellow engineering students also at the hospital with gunshot wounds, Ms. Goss said. “I think they were just wounded,” she said. “He’s counting on them being just wounded.”
Source: New York Times
R.I.P. all that died today. Our prayers are with your families. :frown:

Last edited:

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeh, i would have heard bout this but a 13 hour power outage at quarter of 7 this morning prevenets me from doing anything, heard about it on "1030 AM":mad:'

All of the 32 people who were killed Rest in Peace:happysad:

azntechguy

Reaction score
RIP to all those who have hopefully gone to a better place and their families.

May the shooter rot in hell. Life sucks for all of us and you have no right to make decisions for anyone but yourself, dumb prick.

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
BBC's listing it as 33, previously as both 31 and 30. So people aren't surviving their injuries either (I feel worse for them than those who didn't feel it - knowing death is coming must suck some kind of awful I can't relate to).

My heart and soul go out to those injured or destroyed. May the lord have mercy on their souls.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Besides my heartfelt pains for the families, I just hope no one spins this into "video games made me do it."

I play Postal 2 (well, won't be for the next few weeks probably), ut2004, painkiller, and a few other violent games and I just can't see how someone could do this. My only thinking is that they must be sub-human. I know it sounds bad, but how in the name of Zeus's butthole could someone point a gun at another person and fire, let alone 33 plus injured?

The other thing I don't get is something BBC's just starting to cover - how the hell did the word not get out that a gunman was loose? The shooting happened in 2 parts - one at the dorm, the other 2 hours later at norris hall ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6562259.stm , scroll down).

2 hours. Two. Hours. 2 hours. I just don't get this - a phone call takes 30 seconds to say "hey, get the students out, theres a gunman loose on the grounds." And they couldn't spare 30 seconds for 2 hours. Bull. S***. 9/11 supposedly was a wakeup call; how could it have been if there was a 2 hour gap and no one did anything?

I apologize if this is maybe the wrong place to go off on that, but if 33 could just have been 32, that phone call could have been worth the 30 seconds.

SEÑOR

The Guy Everyone Hates
Reaction score
Its just awful. How can some one do this? Thats why in Canada we arent allowed to own guns. God, I feel bad for the families, I hope thye cna get through this.

Zenax

Reaction score
RIP to all those that died in this horrific shooting

This shouldn't be about games made him do it. I have read in a newspaper, that he was looking for his Girlfriend on the campus and fount her with another man, which prompted the shooting.

This has re-opened the debate about the relaxed gun laws in america. Here in britain we are not allowed to own guns, unless its for hunting, but even then I think you need a license to own it.

Once again R.I.P to all those who died, and I wish all those injured a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

dyfuse

Reaction score
The fact that humanity is getting to the stage where it just blatantly kills its own members means something is definitely wrong.

A life cannot be ended as painfully as it did for the 33 young people. So much of life ahead...they were in the prime of their lives! And to be taken away from what the rest of life had to offer - that is just plain sickening.

May all those young souls rest in peace, and may this event help bring an end to all future tragedies.

Even if he found his girlfriend with another man, killing others should NOT be the way to go! (No wonder she ran away, if this guy was as crazy :nuts: as he was!)

Why would anyone think that it is a good idea to allow someone to own/carry a gun?

Zenax

Reaction score
I totally agree ffadmin, even if he did find her with another man it is no way to around killing people!

Just one thing I dont get though. They say there was a 2 hour gap between the two shootings, so why wasnt anything done in that 2 hours? Surely this could of been prevented during those 2 hours?

Last edited:

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
RIP to all those that died in this horrific shooting

This has re-opened the debate about the relaxed gun laws in america. Here in britain we are not allowed to own guns, unless its for hunting, but even then I think you need a license to own it.

Once again R.I.P to all those who died, and I wish all those injured a speedy recovery.

I too am going to say R.I.P to all the innocent civilians killed and I wish that the injured get well soon and this doesn't negatively impact on their lives.

In the UK all firearms firing self-contained ammunition (Ammunition that has its propellant in the bullet, like normal guns, shotgun shells, etc) require a firearms license and a reason to own it (Hunting, Farming, etc). You are not allowed to just own one for self defense).

The police dont even carry guns, and have to call out the special police firearms unit, and even then they are rare and sometimes need to be brought in from major cities.

Again, RIP to those who have died in this horrific incident.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
As bad as this is, I hope no wacked out liberal decides to push legislation to ban guns, as all that will do is remove protection from the good honest people. The police in Houston are a joke; if criminals are going to get guns anyway, I say I have the right to protect myself at my discretion

Cubeform

Reaction score
My prayers go out to all who were killed.

About gun control: Here in Canada, we tried a gun registry, but that was just a huge farce and waste of our money. What we really need to tighten up is border and port security: the real way criminals get guns is illegally.

By the way, the gunman has been identified as Cho Seung-Hui.

Last edited:

KowKing

Reaction score
A prayer given for the deceased and their surviving families and loved ones.

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. God bless.

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Its just awful. How can some one do this? Thats why in Canada we arent allowed to own guns. God, I feel bad for the families, I hope thye cna get through this.
Just because guns are illegal doesn't mean they can't still be bought and used.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Just because guns are illegal doesn't mean they can't still be bought and used.

But you have to go through more risky methods to actually get them. The kid probably had the guns legally anyways.

I'm not promoting the gun laws, I'm just saying they might've slowed the process down a bit. I'm of the belief that theres always going to be something worse happening, and it's just a matter of time until it gets here. All you can do is slow the process down; gun laws can slow that down, but just as you said, you can still get them and use them.

Chris Z

Reaction score
ya, I was just watching Anderson Cooper 360, and they said that he purchased the two guns at a pawn shop LEGALLY with 3 forms of ID. I didn't hear which 3 forms of ID that was though.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
ya, I was just watching Anderson Cooper 360, and they said that he purchased the two guns at a pawn shop LEGALLY with 3 forms of ID. I didn't hear which 3 forms of ID that was though.

Drivers License was probably one, birth certificate a possible second. Dun think they'd like library cards as the third but that could work.

At least those are the 2 I'd think would work best for 2 forms of ID. Birth certificate might be iffy though, dunno how easy it is to obtain.

KowKing

Reaction score
Don't degrade this thread by spamming it up, and don't derail the topic.

This is a serious event, and the deceased need to be honored.