Torrents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolv1994

Reaction score
One question about the ToS, I have already read the terms of service and it says users are not alloud to host any type of torrent but I would like to know if this means that users are not alloud to host toorents of material that is theirs? For example I like playing around in FL Studio which is a program that you can make beats and songs on. So if I wanted to share these files could I post them. I'm not acteually going to but I was wondering about this for a while. I'm sure someone else probally had the same question too.

Last edited:

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Note that the policy doesn't leave you out in the cold. If your site is for your music or artwork in general, you can host the music; just be careful you don't go over your bandwidth and file quotas. You can also store the music on another site and link to it, including using another site as the torrent tracker. You'd better double check this with an admin, but my reading is that you can host a torrent (the metadata about the files and tracker site) if the files are directly related to the site (since the torrent will be downloaded, as opposed to being used by the browser). The ToS specifically prohibit file storage scripts, including torrent clients and trackers.

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
As far as i can tell, the only limitation on torrents are torrent downloaders and torrent trackers.
Actual torrent files should be ok as long as your allowed to distribute the content thats in them, ie you own it, or the author has allowed you to redistribute said material.
I personally don't see an issue if you own the content, though with the current bandwidth and file space sizes, i don't see a problem just having them on your site. If you do drain your bandwidth, then
1: your musics to big, compress it
2: your getting allot of traffic, put up some Google ads and switch to paid hosting, though at this point, torrents become reasonable, though don't expect every user to want to download a torrent to get your music, offer it as a second option.

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
The other thing to consider is are you going to have enough people seeding your torrent to make it even worth your while? Even if you do seed it yourself, your torrent will probably be horrendously slow to download, unless you're on a T1 line. And, how much bandwidth are you using a month? If you've got a ton of extra, I wouldn't worry about hosting the files on your site as long as they meet the ToS requirements. You can also look into file hosting sites and link to them.

Or, how about making a YouTube video with your music in the background and embedding it on your site?

Last edited:

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
As garretroyce was saying, its easy to host on an external site. Youtube is a good one, but it can be a bit of a mess creating a blank video with just audio in the background, and seems un-necessarily time consuming. However, you could use something like http://www.zshare.net/ which allows you to share audio and video files with users via a custom URL they assign to you. You could even use an iframe to incorpirate it into one of your pages-and that way, your bandwidth doesnt get eaten up. You'd be surprised how quickly it goes down after you add files like that.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
torrent files are allowed as long as they are legal, like a distribution of ubuntu or any other free variant of linux etc.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
torrent files are allowed as long as they are legal, like a distribution of ubuntu or any other free variant of linux etc.

I wouldn't even try running a tracker on x10 though; first and foremost, High Resource Usage. Secondly, it only takes 1 person uploading a questionable torrent and your account's killed under Zero Tolerance :)

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I wouldn't even try running a tracker on x10 though; first and foremost, High Resource Usage. Secondly, it only takes 1 person uploading a questionable torrent and your account's killed under Zero Tolerance :)

hosting a .torrent file != tracker. Read up what a tracker is.

A .torrent file is just a pointer containing a link to a tracker, which is some other server than x10

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
hosting a .torrent file != tracker. Read up what a tracker is.

A .torrent file is just a pointer containing a link to a tracker, which is some other server than x10

I'm more than aware of the difference, I'm just making an extra point. There's been a few trackers on x10 in the past; none I've found are still around :)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Smith <3 to eat bandwidth for Breakfast. If you guys need an extra push on the upload, I have no problem offering up at least some of my upload speed here (total of 1.5Mbps, same as a T1 line) to help seed some torrents. Of course, legal and non-poisoned :). I can seed using DHT, but sending me to a tracker will work better.

Otherwise, unless the files are very big (Greater than 500MB), you might as well use a free file hoster or your x10Hosting bandwidth. Torrents I love using for large files or for when HTTP/FTP servers are slow, and I'm always willing to seed back like I did to Fedora and Ubuntu when those were released (I hit a ratio of 11.545:1 on all of those torrents).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.