TOS and AUP

What do you do(usually)

• I always read the TOS and AUP before signing up for a service.

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • I read the TOS and AUP when i like the service.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I read the TOS and AUP when i am in hot water.

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • I never read the TOS and AUP.

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
So who here reads the TOS and AUP when they create accounts.
Do you read them when you sign up for a service, or after you start using it and like it.
Do you read it when your in hot water, or do you never read them.

I personally only read them after i create the account and like the service. I generally know what to expect in a TOS or AUP, though i may read it before i sign up for an account if i'm doing something that might break the TOS(Using a free VOIP provider to make free calls through google as an example)

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Interesting poll / topic. Thanks for starting it.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Actually I never read the TOS but I'll read it if I'll buy dedicated hosting someday. I remember once I've read TOS of Paypal. :p

Last edited:

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I usually skim them for anything that isn't "Don't host warez or copyrighted material, and don't overload our server."

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
For hosts (which I don't work for of course) I usually skip them, as they are mostly the same everywhere.

For online shops, skip, they are practically the same.

For paypal, banking, and serious stuff where law is involved, I read them

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I usually skim them for anything that isn't "Don't host warez or copyrighted material, and don't overload our server."

One interesting thing I've done with one of my host. I had uploaded the whole album after compressing if by win rar and password protecting it and encrypting it as well. And then renaming that rar file to something foolish from which you can't make any guess. (for personal sites). nice trick, isn't it?

Now owner of x10hosting going to get angry but don't worry, I'm not the part of x10hosting. I'm just a forum member.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
The two ToS's I have ever read:

x10hosting
Giffgaff (only because I thought it was a scam)

~Callum

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
It depends on type of service.I usually reads the tos of web hosting services.Because it gives me information about what is allowed or not.It helps me to decide whether to sign up with this service or not.Also advertising company's tos is important to me as well.

I never read tos of popular services like google, yahoo, microsoft, all social networking sites and softwares.

What's AUP?

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
AUP is like the TOS cept it their shield, where the TOS is their sword.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I mostly read the TOS and AUP on pretty much everything I use before signing up. Some things you know you can skip over such as the paragraphs full of the same old legal things about Indemnification and all to save some time, but it doesn't hurt to read them in order to find some "Gotcha!" phrase in there.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
“By placing an order via this Web site you agree to grant us a non transferable option to claim, for now and for ever more, your immortal soul. Should We wish to exercise this option, you agree to surrender your immortal soul, and any claim you may have on it, within 5 (five) working days of receiving written notification. We reserve the right to serve such notice in 6 (six) foot high letters of fire, however we can accept no liability for any loss or damage caused by such an act. If you a) do not believe you have an immortal soul, b) have already given it to another party, or c) do not wish to grant us such a license, please click the link below to nullify this sub-clause and proceed with your transaction"

This was actually placed in the terms of service on a popular website as an April Fools joke, but it is a reminder of what unusual or unexpected things could be in terms of service and why they should be read.