ubuntu...

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I recently switched to Ubuntu from windows because of my defect RAM but I kind of regret it. So I need help to fix it to be more user-friendly (which it isn't now).

Logins
Why do I have to login twice? If I turn on autologin I still have to login, but only once?? Can I turn of this? I'm not retarded to run every single program I encounter, and to login to use a program is just stupid imo. Even to change proxy settings you need to type your password twice. To connect to the internet you need to type your password once.

Clipboard
Why does the clipboard erase it self when you close an application? Is it possible to keep the text, like it's default in Windows? Clipboard managers like parcellite doesn't work either.

Chat
Is it possible to set empathy to auto-login on startup? Now I have to open empathy and type my sudo password to make it login...

Auto-start up programs
I have set it to save my programs when I shutdown my computer, but apparently it doesn't work the way I thought it would, because it does nothing at all. If I shutdown with xchat open for instance, when I start not a single application is running.

Random bugs
Why does the notification area move to a random position with every start? Why does the panel that says my account name (the one with a speech bubble) replace the shutdown button from time to time? Why does ubuntu complain that the hdd is corrupt, when I can ignore it by pressing i? I have run tests and it shows the hdd is healthy.

I am probably gonna switch back to win7 until these issues with Ubuntu is fixed. Ubuntu isn't made for desktop use, obviously.

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
To enable auto log-in, type the command "empathy -h" to Startup Applications. The -h option starts Empathy in hidden mode

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
I am using Ubuntu and I resolved the password issue by setting password to a single digit. :D

Password becomes a problem when you want to install multiple programs manually.
For installing programs use synaptic package manager.Yes, clipboard bug exists!, killing the application destroys the relevant text in clipboard.Which is must for a web developer, programmer.

For login screen issues go to
System->Administration->Login Screen.Unlock the application by entering password.
Then Select user you want to login automatically.Don't allow anybody to login first.

I want to start empathy on startup too and I know that a Google search will do it for me.But I am lazy and now Vishal has helped me.By posting above.

Actually problem is not with Ubuntu, the problem is that you are not used to it.My friends says to me they are happy with xp and don't want to use windows 7 because it is very complex. :)

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Klipper in kde should run in gnome I'd have thought, which allows clipboards to work as expected. I think. Unless it's just kde in which case the easiest solution would be kubuntu.

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
Klipper in kde should run in gnome I'd have thought, which allows clipboards to work as expected. I think. Unless it's just kde in which case the easiest solution would be kubuntu.

Another solution is to install kde using apt in ubuntu.But I don't like kde, it was very buggy in ubuntu 9.04 when I tested it.Although it looks very nice.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Set keyring so that it doesn't need a password. It's what I did aaages ago :)

~Callum

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Set keyring so that it doesn't need a password. It's what I did aaages ago :)

~Callum

yep I figured it out now. I also managed to get rid of those password dialogs by editing the sudoers file or something with the sudo visudo command.

Also, random bug #1:
randombug.png

cheezo

Reaction score
logins are purposely designed that way for security.
but if you could write scripts and put it in /rc.d to run every startup. like autostart pidgin and etc..

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Another thing I just found: RAR files. You need to pay to extract them. Those who are free doesn't work and p7zip cannot be found on the computer, even thought it's installed according to synaptic.

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
Did you use unrar .If not just give a try,
sudo apt-get install rar unrar