Ugh... Mozilla vs. IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

golz

Reaction score
I'm a Mozilla user, but I know there are a lot of IE users out there since it's the default browser for Windows. I want my website to look good in both browsers, but I guess Mozilla and IE handle code in different ways... because they don't look the same :blink: Is there a way to fix this? By fix I mean make my site show up the same in both browsers.

Oh also, if read this (even if you don't mention the Mozilla/IE issue) please comment and tell me your resolution. I want to see what the majority is and use that as my default size.

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
Really the best way to make a site cross-browser complient is to do a lot of tinkering. I spent a good 6 hours rewriting my site so that it would look decent in IE, 'cause I designed it for FireFox.

The biggest differences between the two browsers is the way images are displayed and the way width is calculated.

I.E. Likes to add a small margin on to an image, while FireFox doesn't. And I.E. likes to keep block-level elements their declared size, even if the bounding element is smaller. FireFox shrinks the inner element to fit in the outer one.

P.S. I'm running dual-screen @ 2560x1024.

golz

Reaction score
Ooh k thanks. I guess I'll design mine for Firefox as well. I heard it's going mainstream too so I guess it'll make sense for the future.

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
No problem. The new version of Internet Explorer that is coming out will hopefully adhere more closely to the W3C Web Standards, because right now, there are too many quirks in it.

Neuromancer

Reaction score
I prefer IE and IE based browsers. My mainstay is deepnet, but Opera is really awesome too. I stay away from Firefox as the only benefit I see extensions (active X controls are NICe to have on some websites so I just disable them for all but my trusted site) Same with cookies

As for designing for both.. are you hand coding or using an app.

Dreamweaver lets you preview your work in both browsers.

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
Neuromancer said:
I prefer IE and IE based browsers. My mainstay is deepnet, but Opera is really awesome too. I stay away from Firefox as the only benefit I see extensions (active X controls are NICe to have on some websites so I just disable them for all but my trusted site) Same with cookies

As for designing for both.. are you hand coding or using an app.

Dreamweaver lets you preview your work in both browsers.
All my coding I do by hand. Because I develop in several languages, I haven't found an editor that has all the features I want as well as being fast. Plus, to save myself from havingto upload a hundred times, I edit in the File Editor in cPanel File Manager.

I really don't like Opera because you have to pay to remove the ads. Other than that, I'm not turning this into a "my browser is better" debate.

Neuromancer

Reaction score
Yeah I let the ads run for about 5 minutes before I disabled them :devil:

Yeah I am a bit of an MS fanboi, pardon me for that I thought you were also asking which browser people use and so I went into my normal diatribe :laughing:

Well it would appear that your options would be limited to either

a) Leaving both IE and Firefox open and just running the page each time you update it

or running your code through W3 verification. If it passes their test then it should be good for all browsers :)

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
Yeah, my site validates as XHTML-Strict and CSS v2. I spent a lot of time writing the code to keep it that way. Even though it was vaild, it still didn't look perfect in all the browers I tried, but with some tinkering, I fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.