Uploading custom .gz thru cPanel backup restore

Torch

Reaction score
I was thinking, since I do most of my site development olffline (on personal server), is it possible to maybe archive it (and following folder structure on this server ofcourse) into .gz and than upload and restore it using cPanel's backup restore feature. That would save loads of time compared to FTPing, but I'm not sure what would it to files that are not in archive but already on server.
Anyone got some input on this? :)

Last edited:

Cynical

Reaction score
Err... you can try it, I've never done it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, as long as have all of the files that are already on your site (the files not in public_html) in the same structure in your archive, because I think when you restore a backup it erases what is already present... not sure about that though. Best wait for a staff reply.

Vyriix

Reaction score
cpanel extract replaces whatever files that are having same file name inside your public_html.

Yes it's possible provided you have the correct permissions set in ur tar file, or u have to set the correct permissions after you extracted the files.

Alternately, you can open a few ftp sessions at a time and upload ur files part by parts

Torch

Reaction score
That's what I'm trying to avoid, uploading one by one. Because I have pretty large site structure and rather unstable connection ATM so it times me out from time to time when FTPing.

Anyway, my main concern is if cPanel will first delete all already existing files and than restore, or will it just replace already existing leaving the files that are not in archive untouched?

Vyriix

Reaction score
it will do the latter one, it will leave the files that are not in archive untouched. Unstable connection as in, getting timeouts often? Most FTP softwares comes with automated queing uploading system and will auto reconnect and resume when the connection fails. If each the of the files are rather small in size, it should be no probelm to upload through ftp, and will be faster if u open multiple ftp sessions at once.

Torch

Reaction score
Speed is another issue I mentioned in first post, and the main reason I want to try this.
Command parsing goes rather slow (it's not issue with the FTP software I'm using nor this host, just my current connection) and each file (no matter how small) takes at least 3-5 second to upload. Multiply that by 500+, and that is a lot of time. So it's much faster to just upload them all in single archive. BTW, I'm not talking about doing just changes on individual files, I mean the upload of whole site or large amount of files.

Anyway, I'll backup the site and try uploading my .gz... Let's see what happens :)