Urgent help needed! 1&1

Fearghal

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me.

Yesterday, I purchased a domain name from 1&1. Now I am being told by some friends that its a very dishonest company, adds extra charges everywhere and then doesn't let you cancel your account.

Then on top of that, they take you to court if you don't pay all the extra charges!

I really need help, I only registered my domain yesterday and they haven't charged me yet. Is there anyway I can cancel my contract with them and close my account before this all starts?

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Wrong Section

***Thread Moved to Off Topic***

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
Read there TOS. IF there isn't anything about extra fees, and if they take you to court, they have nothing on you. If there IS somthing in there about extra fees, but the fees they charge you arn't within the scope, they still have nothing on you in court. Otherwise if they really do take you to court for not paying fees, and it is in there TOS, best bet is to try get the contract nulled by the judge, unless your under 18, then techinclly the contract was never in effect(this all assumes you live in the US)

Fearghal

Reaction score
Read there TOS. IF there isn't anything about extra fees, and if they take you to court, they have nothing on you. If there IS somthing in there about extra fees, but the fees they charge you arn't within the scope, they still have nothing on you in court. Otherwise if they really do take you to court for not paying fees, and it is in there TOS, best bet is to try get the contract nulled by the judge, unless your under 18, then techinclly the contract was never in effect(this all assumes you live in the US)

Well actually I'm only 16, but I live in the UK...

I've found a way to cancel the contract on their website, but its making it so complicated. Its asking me to transfer the domain to a new registar, then its saying no you can't do that because it's under 60 days. So it's asking me to return to NIC...

All I wanted was a domain :(

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Well actually I'm only 16, but I live in the UK...

I've found a way to cancel the contract on their website, but its making it so complicated. Its asking me to transfer the domain to a new registar, then its saying no you can't do that because it's under 60 days. So it's asking me to return to NIC...

All I wanted was a domain :(
That is true that within the 60 days of registration, you cannot transfer the domain After that you can do at any time, You will not loose the remaining time what ever left on that. There is no charge for transferring the domain.

Last edited:

Fearghal

Reaction score
That is true that within the 60 days of registration, you cannot transfer the domain After that you can do at any time, You will not loose the remaining time what ever left on that.

Hmm, do you know what would happen if I returned to NIC?

It says the NIC would contact me to discuss what I want to do with the domain. I don't even know what the NIC is, I'm assuming its some sort of regulator for domain names?

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Hmm, do you know what would happen if I returned to NIC?

It says the NIC would contact me to discuss what I want to do with the domain. I don't even know what the NIC is, I'm assuming its some sort of regulator for domain names?

Actually it goes back to NIC and if you want to register, you can register with nic but cost will be high,

My advice is contact sales of 1&1 and ask what are the total charges you have to pay. Then you can decide. and also ask for the transfer charges too, (Generally the transfer charges will be zero.)

Last edited:

phazzedout

Reaction score
Sounds like you got yourself in a real jam. I always read every TOS, even forums TOS. If it does not state that they can sell my email to spam companies then I send them a good old fashion law attack! This should be a lesson to everyone. Always read the TOS.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I remember last time when I read google analytic's ToS and godday's one. However, I could still not care because I am too young to legally sign a contract. I could do anything with them and not be legally help responsible since no contract was in effect.

Fearghal

Reaction score
I remember last time when I read google analytic's ToS and godday's one. However, I could still not care because I am too young to legally sign a contract. I could do anything with them and not be legally help responsible since no contract was in effect.

Well I'm only 16, so I'm not really worried. But they might start charging stuff to my bank which my parents are responsible for :(

priyaa161

Reaction score
I don't think that they can charge you without notifying you. They need your permission to charge you for anything extra service. Some domain registrar charge you for email address (Don't know much about it)