Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Both equal to me

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Vbulletin

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

halo3gopher

Reaction score
This is a tough one. PHPBB has a large mod and style community and is all FREE, but on the other hand, Vbulletin usually just works better. I guess you get what you pay for, but for now my site can live with PHPBB. What do you think?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think these threads are all over the place, but another can't hurt. :biggrin:

I voted PHPBB because it's free. Why pay for something when there's a free open source alternative. *note, I am NOT endorsing pirating.

arizonapcrepair

Reaction score
phpBB simply because it is free, and with the right tools and customizations, can do the same stuff as vBulletin. Personally, I do not see what makes vBulletin so special.

Do keep in mind that the x10 forums are vBulletin :D

Last edited:

stitchrokcs

Reaction score
If you have the money vB all the way if you dont have the money or you dont want to pay hen MyBB is for you. PhpBB just failz.

halo3gopher

Reaction score
Vbulletin is nice because it already has most of the features you need, where in phpbb you need to mod many of them in.
On the other hand, modding is fairly simple unless you're trying to do something like change the filenames in an imageset.

crampz

Reaction score
I voted vbulletin coz there have a lots of professional mods..

halo3gopher

Reaction score
Yeah vBulletin usually appears more professional. PHPBB is lacking some features you're looking for cause you just got off of a vBulletin forum.

Xemnas

Reaction score
vB is very powerful, and is certainly worth the money if you can afford it. It has a lot of things built-in that phpBB doesn't, and where it doesn't there's bound to be a mod that can do it.

On the other hand, phpBB is free and easy to use by itself. It may not have all the bells and whistles vB has, but it's far from useless. It's much simpler to use than vB and a fresh install is quicker to fully configure than for vB, which literally takes hours to do.

Overall I'd say they're pretty even, but if you can afford it then definitely go with vB; it's worth every single penny. :)

talkingnerds

Reaction score
I personally use vbulletin because I can afford it but PHPBB is good as an open source program. The only bad thing phpbb is all of the security holes in it.