Web 2.0

sunils

Reaction score
I was in a quest to understand what this WEB 2.0 meant. I read through lot of internet links to understand what this WEB 2.0 meant. But i couldnt understand in depth about it.

Here are some definition that i found over the internet.

From wikipedia
Web 2.0 describes the changing trends in the use of world wide web technology and web design that aim to enhance creativity secure information sharing, collaboration and functionality of the web. Web 2.0 concepts have led to the development and evolution of web-based communities and hosted services, such as social networking sites, video sharing sites, wikis, blogs, and folksonomies.

From http://www.webopedia.com
Web 2.0 is the term given to describe a second generation of the world wide web that is focused on the ability for people to collaborate and share information online. Web 2.0 basically refers to the transition from static HTML Web pages to a more dynamic Web that is more organized and is based on serving web applications to users. Other improved functionality of Web 2.0 includes open communication with an emphasis on Web-based communities of users, and more open sharing of information. Over time Web 2.0 has been used more as a marketing term than a computer-science-based term. Blogs, wikis, and Web Services are all seen as components of Web 2.0.
Web 2.0 was previously used as a synonym for Semantic Web, but while the two are similar, they do not share precisely the same meaning.

But till now i am not convinced about these definitions. So if you can add up about this and tell me more about it, it could be helpful to me as well as to the community.

naerey

Reaction score
Web 2.0 is just a marketing term to say that something is NEW and INNOVATIVE. It can be given to just about anything actually.... not HTML pages though XD

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
The first definition is use as an adjective and the second as an era of the internet. Web 2.0 can either be described as the transition from WAP looking web sites to dynamic one seen today, or as an adjective for how improved something is like the Iphone 3G is web 2.0 compared to the standard Iphone. Both can be misleading in it's terminology, you should go to dictionary.com.