Well i hate the suspension policy

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
The whole thing or just parts of it?

If you don't like the rules laid out here, there are other hosts you can use and complain about.

Sohail

Reaction score
I think its worth posting in the forums to prevent yourself from getting suspended. Especially when x10 give you some paid services for free! eg. PHP, MySQL, no advertisements ect... If you want to be lazy and only use these services as a freeloader then you might as well leave!

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
I think its worth posting in the forums to prevent yourself from getting suspended. Especially when x10 give you some paid services for free! eg. PHP, MySQL, no advertisements ect... If you want to be lazy and only use these services as a freeloader then you might as well leave!

And the thing is - there is NO posting required. Just logging in. Compare that to some that require 100's of posts to keep a 100 mb account, its a bit silly.

sk8er

Reaction score
I went on vacation when i made my account and i came back and it was suspended for inactivity

QuwenQ

Reaction score
Hey, for 100 Credits a month, I'll log into it for you every day. =P

In all seriousness, another hosting site that used to be number two in the best hosts of all time (x10 is the first xD) it required you to make a post per megabyte of bandwidth (much like what StarShine said). For 45 gigabytes, what x10 gives you for putting a pretty banner on your site (I don't know about you, but I love the colors on it. xD) it would require 45,000 posts.

Not even Corey, who owns this site, made 45,000 posts yet, and damn, that guy follows you everywhere. =P

Sohail

Reaction score
So what if you were to go on holiday for a month and you have no internet access? Do you think that Corey would let you off if you told him via PM or something? I dont care weather posting is required or not. I would still post here till i get up to 9000 credits so i can get a domain.

WoWChat

Reaction score
If you are planning a vacation long-term (longer than two weeks) contact an administrator and I am sure they would be able to help you in this situation. If you do not pm an administrator, there's also an unsuspention request form you can fill out.

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
See, the interesting thing people don't consider ...

Wait till the day before you leave ( if you can ) and log in. In 2 weeks ( 14 days ) the system will suspend you. Then you basically have 9 days ( Not sure if its 10 completely or if on day 10 it happens ) then your account is terminated. Thats 23 days you can be away without losing your account.

QuwenQ

Reaction score
See, the interesting thing people don't consider ...

Wait till the day before you leave ( if you can ) and log in. In 2 weeks ( 14 days ) the system will suspend you. Then you basically have 9 days ( Not sure if its 10 completely or if on day 10 it happens ) then your account is terminated. Thats 23 days you can be away without losing your account.

I'm on x10's side here, but if you need to be away for, say, thirty days?
Then you lose everything?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Then you ask a nice responsible friend to login to the forums for you after you've been gone for two weeks.

I really can't think of a situation that if you care about your account you can't find a way or find someone to log in to your forum account once or twice while you're away.

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
I really doubt you travel for more than 2 weeks and don't even find a computer to check your email...

hofheins

Reaction score
I love the suspension policy. It is very reasonable, appropriate, and very fair. If only life were that way.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Then you ask a nice responsible friend to login to the forums for you after you've been gone for two weeks.

I really can't think of a situation that if you care about your account you can't find a way or find someone to log in to your forum account once or twice while you're away.

Another reason for having a different username and password for forums and cPanel :)

Whenever anyone uses my PC it automatically opens the forums page in another tab in IE...

revolushorn

Reaction score
personally ive just been suspended and i think its a good thing cos we cant just be freeloaders....we all gotta put in some effort!

mitamata

Reaction score

Coma?

That would kinda suck. You get hit by a car, spend a month in a coma and then on top of everything, your site is gone. If you're lucky, you will at least have some backups saved somewhere.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I think if you're in a coma, your free web hosting would be the least of your worries...

flinx

Reaction score
It might just be what gets you out of the coma!
You know, like in the movies, when they get the wife or the children to talk to the person in coma and he wakes up? Somebody tells you "remember tomorrow you loose your free x10 account!" and wham! you wake up! :lol:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
The reason we do it is because for obvious reasons Free Hosting is in high demand. A mistake that a lot of other free hosting companies make is letting accounts sit there, used or not.

Even if an account is 1MB and uses no Bandwidth. Everytime the server does something related to accounts, that one account is going to add on time. For example, if I restart Apache, it doesn't matter how large an account is or how many visitors it has. Apache has to read through the whole config file and if that account is there, it's going to add on time. It might not be much time but when you add 5,000 accounts that no one is using, it causes issues for everyone else using their accounts.

I think it is very reasonable to only ask for people to visit the forums once every two weeks, it not only serves the purpose of getting rid of the inactive accounts it also forces users to read up on the news so there is no excuse for when we change policies or rules.

On another note... time to suspend all the inactive people ;)

-Corey