What Flash is for

scottietrek

Reaction score
Just a something to think about. some search engines give higher results when you have flash on your site (i.e. google is one). I know it sounds silly it was to me too when i first read it too. you should try it out i notice a improvement to some of the sites i careated with just a flashing dot at the very bottom of the page.:confused::confused:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
There's some real ignorance on display amongst some of the flash hater replies here. In reality the new functionality offered by html5 (e.g video, local storage, sockets etc) was available in flash over 7 years ago, and many versions back.

Flash will always have an advantage in adding new technology, and being able to to update players quickly to use it, over the extremely slow pace of w3c advances. By the time html5 browsers are common enough that most people can use the features, it will be 10 years behind what flash does.

It is of course correct that many simple interactive elements do not now need flash, but cutting edge advances (e.g peer to peer video such as used by chatroulette) that push forward the boundaries of what can be done on the web will always need plugins like flash or silverlight

Alex, there is nothing impressive at the html5 apple demo's, these are like childrens work done in flash last decade, look at the sites on thefwa.com, these are the pinnacle of talent and creativity on the web. Also have a look at http://www.swfhead.com/flash/ these kind of advanced web experiences can only be done by the best flash developers

That's exactly the kind of feedback I was expecting on this thread when I called it "What Flash is for". Many people here tend to discuss if Flash is good or not but the idea behind this thread is to determine what is the best way to use Flash. No one can say that Flash is completely useless. Only people that newer used it to make something can say that cos they don't actually know what exactly it is and what can it to.

Just a something to think about. some search engines give higher results when you have flash on your site (i.e. google is one). I know it sounds silly it was to me too when i first read it too. you should try it out i notice a improvement to some of the sites i careated with just a flashing dot at the very bottom of the page.:confused::confused:

I would like to read the article about that if you have the link cos I doesn't make sense and I leaned to to trust everything I read on the Internet.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I guess I'm a flash hater.. :)

Just because something has been around for longer doesn't mean it is better.

~Callum

mefm2010

Reaction score
I guess I'm a flash hater.. :)

Just because something has been around for longer doesn't mean it is better.

~Callum

Just because something is new (html5) doesn't mean it's better.

I find it an odd state of mind, to 'hate' a technology that you don't have to use, or can actively avoid (e.g flashblock). I also find it odd to hate something the brings a lot of innovation and advances to the web, and enables a lot of people to express creativity in digital media.

Go and create something wonderful using your mac and html5 and be -positive- instead of griping on other peoples chosen path to creativity.

mefm2010

Reaction score
My favourite flash app btw:

www.audiotool.com/app (online music production synth/sequencer/effects application)

Also very good are the aviary set of online suite of creative applications e.g

http://aviary.com/

This sort of flash development is light years ahead of what can purely be done in html/js, it's great that html5 is taking on board some of the features that flash provided many years ago, and long may flash continue to inspire and provide the technological opportunities for truly great developers to provide these kind of web experiences

v4xde

Reaction score
Hi,

Only use flash for things that are multimedia but different from every one else.

Flash is great, but majority programmers only use it for buttons, ads, faces, etc.

Try to use in beatiful muitimedia.

v
PS remember flash slows your page load.

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
beautiful post.

I love flash for its ability to do complex animations and have more interactive point of view.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
See, it's not that useless like many Apple users think :)

(Yes that was trolling, sorry)