What is rep good for?

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
I've looked in the obvious places (the useful information section, announcements, etc...), but I can't figure out what rep is actually good for. I did search, too, but to no avail. Does it translate into credits somehow? Do I get more privileges with more rep? This is probably quite simple, but I have no clue.

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
It is simple, you get rep when people click the little check box on your posts, saying you were helpful or something. Then your rep goes up... thats all it is really for, nothing special. Just a little thing that tells people if you have good or bad posting habits I guess.

There was never any special credits given or anything before, might be now though, not sure about the credits.

Last edited:

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
yeah pretty much, but its so small you'd never know to look for it unless you were actually paying attention and knew about it before hand. Well or maybe if you are just playing around with buttons and such.

BorderLineSigs

Reaction score
Lol...thanks for the clarification =P...but i got another question...you know the statement next to you little box next to av....how do you get the different? like mine is sophmore...what is higher than that and how to i get it?

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
It doesn't look like your rep is even displayed publicly, I certainly can't find it on anyone else's profile, though you can see the number of referrals they've generated, which doesn't really serve any purpose.

Last edited:

BorderLineSigs

Reaction score
LOL ya your right...you can look at your own and feel SPECIAL inside...thats about it =S

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
First off, you can only see your own amount of points and what people have said to you. BUT! you can see the little green square under your forum title. That, if you hover your cursor over it and stop moving, shows you what the users reputation is like. It has silly little statements for what your reputation is at.

Secondly, your forum title changes by how many posts you have. Unless you are a part of staff or are in a group which has its own title. Also about 2/3 of staff have the ability to change theirs/edit it... or make 2 different ones.

Last edited:

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
Wow, interesting delve into the mysteries of x10. Did some poking around on Google and found this scale:
User is infamous around these parts (below -50)
User can only hope to improve (-50)
User has a little shameless behaviour in the past (-10)
User is an unknown quantity at this point (0)
User is on a distinguished road (10)
User will become famous soon enough (50)
User has a spectacular aura about (150)
User is a jewel in the rough (250)
User is just really nice (350)
User is a glorious beacon of light (450)
User is a name known to all (550)
User is a splendid one to behold (650)
User has much to be proud of (1000)
User has a brilliant future (1500)
User has a reputation beyond repute (2000)

It's not fully accurate, though, because mine's 15 and I see "will be famous soon enough"

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
Thats not the scale x10 uses, it has rep at 90 as the last one.

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
You just saved me hours of speculation...now it doesn't feel so secret anymore :D.

Best estimations:
User is infamous around these parts (below -35)
User can only hope to improve (-14)
User has a little shameless behaviour in the past (-7)
User is an unknown quantity at this point (0)
User is on a distinguished road (7)
User will become famous soon enough (14)
User has a spectacular aura about (21)
User is a jewel in the rough (28)
User is just really nice (35)
User is a glorious beacon of light (42)
User is a name known to all (49)
User is a splendid one to behold (54)
User has much to be proud of (70)
User has a brilliant future (77)
User has a reputation beyond repute (90)

Last edited:

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
It just keeps getting more interesting, now I can see other peoples reputation when I shouldn't :D.
They left out the last 2 titles on my list I see.

azntechguy

Reaction score
Lord almighty, when did all these things come up in the forum LOL. I remained dormant for a bit and everything's beyond recognition.

Personally, I think the rep feature is overrated and is nothing more to feed our egos. Have at it!

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
Yeah its wrong, sept the 90 :) some are close, but they are off.

If it is to feed your ego, it seems to work quite well :)

Last edited:

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
The reason I asked is because I found out there used to be things called rep clubs, which, as far as I can tell, were where people paid for rep. I thought it must have some value, because usually people don't pay for worthless junk (unless they're buying Vista), but I must be wrong.

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
Let me check...

EDIT:

So yeah, there really isn't anything to reps anymore, nothing like discounts that I can find... and no credits anymore. Apparently it was abused, which I can see easily lol.

Last edited:

ThePaintGuru

Reaction score
<RANDOM>
Azntechguy, just curios, how did you get 7000 credits and have only 19 more posts than I do? I'm really trying to get credits here, but it's going very slowly.
</RANDOM>

Last edited: