What should I learn?

intertec

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am pretty experienced in the graphic side of the web design world but I wanna learn a coding language.

I know basic html and css but I'm really after a programming language.

I have 30 free trial of Lynda Online training videos so what language should I learn. What will help me in the future?

Javascript?
PHP?
ASP?
Some other one?

Please help me!

Thank you

Mitch

Reaction score
i would say PHP, because it is very useful. Good luck!

intertec

Reaction score
Alright thank you Mitch. I always wanted to learn php due to the fact I can make templates for phpbb3 and content management systems!

wjh2303

Reaction score
if you go for php, you should try and pick up some SQL in tandem, very good for websites when you put them together

intertec

Reaction score
Yeah ofcourse. The training I'm doing includes a whole section in SQL

abovodesign

Reaction score
PHP for certain. You have way more options then. And Javascript would be completely useless, that is because php has the same scripts only its way shorter. So just do PHP and then with MySQL. You'll be good.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
And Javascript would be completely useless, that is because php has the same scripts only its way shorter.

JS isn't useless, it's (usually) used client side. PHP & SQL for backend, JS on the frontend.

@intertec: If you want to jump in with development, learn PHP (as everyone suggests) and, if you want to work with IIS, C# & ASP.Net. Just be aware that PHP may not be the best language to learn how to program. You can easily develop bad habits and there are many outdated tutorials and techniques. If you've got the time, I recommend learning how to program first, then learning how to program with PHP. The trick to that is finding a source that teaches you to program as opposed to teaching you a specific language. If you don't have the time, go back and learn proper programming (as well as a few other languages) once you've picked up PHP.

JS is actually quite a nice first language, though its OO approach (inheritance through prototypes) is not well known among OO programmers. Python and Ruby both have good, free tutorials. If you're hardcore, check out the Wizard book (also available as a PDF). If you're an aural learner, watch the lectures (iTunes U has free lectures from other professors).

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
PHP is your best bet. I picked up Perl in a day after PHP as they just seem so 'similar'. Javascript is important for user interface, particularly XMLHTTP.

whitebus

Reaction score
A little Java goes a long way, especially in the mornings. ;)

Seriously, If you want to learn coding I'd pick (an app language like) Java (not JavaScript) or C#. Once you learn how to code in either of these picking up scripting languages like php will be a breeze. Then all you'll need is a quick reference sheet for the syntax.

CWebguy

Reaction score
PHP if you are having fun, ColdFusion if you want a job (cause everyone already knows PHP)

kbjradmin

Reaction score
if you're trying to learn programming in general, i would go with python; its a good first language.

after that, go to something that isn't such a high level language, C# or Java, for example.

after those, then move on to php, because, as has been said before, php is very useful, but can cause you to develop bad habits; so know how to program before learning php.

that's my opinion anyway...

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
As a graphics web designer, learn JavaScript to watch your page come to life. An experienced JavaScript developer can make effects, dynamically change the page and do things most people think only flash can accomplish. As as for PHP, which is also a great language, but it is for back-end developers, so no one can see anything you make with it. I definitely thing you would most enjoy learning JavaScript as I did =)

Last edited: