WHich Forum Software is better?

Which Forum Software is better?

• Total voters

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
Which forum is better? I am asking becasue I have money right now for a lisence and I want to know which one is better to get...

vBulliten 3.07
IPB 2.04

Post away and vote in the poll...

n4tec

Reaction score
I would go for VB but i am not sure about IPB...

Richard

Reaction score
Ok I have never really looked at either admin panel for very long. But I would have to go with vB. THis is from a users prospective not admin. With that said I don't like vB's admin panel.

AsPeRiTy

Reaction score
It kind of depends on what you are looking for... I personally like IPB because the service is great and the admin panel and modding is easier to use. But if you want something that is a little more customizable (in my opinion) and know how to use the admin panel well enough then I would go with VB. I personally though prefer IPB.

Maurice

Reaction score
IPB if you go for the easy to use admin panel. Otherwise vB all the way.

devHead

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer (and practitioner) of the RYO (Roll Your Own) model of web development. Most pre-built script packages tend to have severe holes in code, which are usually widely documented within hours of discovery, and others are private. If you actually ran through the source code of such packages, you'd realize the security risk they pose. For your safety (and for others, as this is a shared hosting environment, if you get rooted, we all get rooted), I'd suggest writing your own. Not only is it secure (unless you publish your source code, and it gets popular, and documented), it's also quite rewarding. Furthermore, if you have any questions as to the process of writing your own, I'm sure not only myself, but the other users here, could help you out. In fact, it sounds like quite a good subject for a tutorial (notes that to self). Well, whichever way you go, my purpose was merely to educate, not criticize.

All the best,
devHead

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
WOW!! That was evry nice but there is just 2 problems... 1. It will not look as good like the ones that are pre-made. 2. I do not know how to code things.

devHead

Reaction score
MicrotechXP said:
WOW!! That was evry nice but there is just 2 problems... 1. It will not look as good like the ones that are pre-made. 2. I do not know how to code things.

RE 1.) Not true. It all depends on how you stylize it. In fact, I could argue that it would look better, because it all depends on your skills, and you could make it easier on yourself by using templates (Smarty - http://smarty.php.net/).

RE 2.) Sorry to hear that. However, PHP isn't the hardest thing to learn. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but why not grab a few tutorials, and try to get down and dirty? If you're convinced coding isn't for you, then by all means, go ahead, use a pre-packaged script. I was just stating my views on such software, but it's not right for everybody.

Regardless, if my post wasn't any help to you, I'm sorry, but I'm sure others could take something from it.

Good luck,
devHead

asianu

Reaction score
actually, IPB's license costs more. However, while VB's license is cheaper, they charge money for updates after the first year. Personally I like IPB better

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
devHead said:
MicrotechXP said:

RE 1.) Not true. It all depends on how you stylize it. In fact, I could argue that it would look better, because it all depends on your skills, and you could make it easier on yourself by using templates (Smarty - http://smarty.php.net/).

RE 2.) Sorry to hear that. However, PHP isn't the hardest thing to learn. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but why not grab a few tutorials, and try to get down and dirty? If you're convinced coding isn't for you, then by all means, go ahead, use a pre-packaged script. I was just stating my views on such software, but it's not right for everybody.

Regardless, if my post wasn't any help to you, I'm sorry, but I'm sure others could take something from it.

Good luck,
devHead

Can you tell me some sites to learn it?

n4tec

Reaction score
I think IPB is great too but i like the easy ACP...

bigarte

Reaction score
My personal preference is for IPB mainly because I am more familiar with it.

Stanz

Reaction score
IPB is what i prefer.
because its easy for me to install mods and config..