WHich Forum Software is better?

Which Forum Software is better?

• Total voters

devHead

Reaction score
MicrotechXP said:
devHead said:
MicrotechXP said:
WOW!! That was evry nice but there is just 2 problems... 1. It will not look as good like the ones that are pre-made. 2. I do not know how to code things.

RE 1.) Not true. It all depends on how you stylize it. In fact, I could argue that it would look better, because it all depends on your skills, and you could make it easier on yourself by using templates (Smarty - http://smarty.php.net/).

RE 2.) Sorry to hear that. However, PHP isn't the hardest thing to learn. I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but why not grab a few tutorials, and try to get down and dirty? If you're convinced coding isn't for you, then by all means, go ahead, use a pre-packaged script. I was just stating my views on such software, but it's not right for everybody.

Regardless, if my post wasn't any help to you, I'm sorry, but I'm sure others could take something from it.

Good luck,
devHead

Can you tell me some sites to learn it?

Well, I'm not aware of a comprehensive, make your own forum tutorial, I can point you here: http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials/103/0.php

That tutorial will get you going. I'm currently working on a development community, graciously hosted by our very own x10 (http://devhead.x10hosting.com). I'm still writing the framework, and as I'm writing the framework, I'm writing a series of tutorials explaining the framework, and is basically a step-by-step guide on creating your own extensible (meaning mods, etc) data-driven website framework like the devHead Framework. Included will be a specific series of tutorials on the modules included with the framework (ie: user system, config-file system [Compatible with the Apache Config File Format], database system [Supporting MySQL and SQLite, and the ability to easily abstract your own database system for different types of SQL servers], article system, tutorial system, forum system and a dynamic image processing system I've written called devShop, which basically allows you to dynamically process your images with Photoshop like functions [ex: Text Shadowing, Colorizing, Layering, Outlined Text, Transparent Text, etc, while supporting custom TTF fonts], so keep checking the site until I get everything going, should be a week at the latest.

Well, that was long-winded, and I hope everybody is able to have as much fun learning and reading the tutorials as I'm having writing them, and I plan on releasing the whole series into the x10 forums as well when they are done, because it's not fair for you guys to be forced to go to my site to read them, as it'd be much easier to just read them here.

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
WOW! That was a very good! You convinced me! Right now I am going to use one of those 2 to get me going but then when I learn and made my own I will be using that! Thank you very much!

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
Just one more question..right now I am reading the tutorial and it says:

Now to create the tables:

WHere do I do that? On notpad or somthing?

devHead

Reaction score
When it says 'create the tables', it means the database tables. This is going to be new to you, particularly because you don't have experience with PHP or MySQL. My advice to you, for now, get a grasp of PHP, then a grasp of MySQL, then go back and tackle that tutorial. You need to build up a familiarity with PHP and MySQL first.

Here, go to the PHPFreaks tutorials, and start reading:
http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials.php

After you've grasped the main topics and dynamics of PHP and MySQL, you will be able to follow the tutorial with ease.

Richard

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is value for money. With vB you only get a year of updates while IPB you get lifetime updates.

Richard

Reaction score
This is for Owned Licenses (for one board):

Vbulletin: $160.00

Inversion Power Board: $185.00

Iceman

Reaction score
I prefer IPB because I feel that its modding community is more active and original in many aspects. Although there are a few great mods (RPG Inferno) for VBulletin, they cost money, so that drastically takes that score down.

Iceman

Reaction score
PHPBB probably has the best modding community available; though. I wouldn't choose it because of its recent loopholes which allow for easy hacking.

chaganlal1

Reaction score
id say IPB because vbulletin is a nice software but like iceman says it costs sum $$ for few nice mods

n4tec

Reaction score
When you want something always try to forgot get about the price.. Just get what your heart desires... So my friend choose the best of the two...

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
Ok I have chosen! I have chosen IPB 2.04! I will be using that untill I make my own...thank you all for your help and thanks for voting!

asianu

Reaction score
You could download a trial version of IPB from their main site to test it out and get a feel for it. I don't know if vBulletin does that too, but if they let you have a test run, take it first before sending all that green

BigEmmaFanz

Reaction score
asianu said:
You could download a trial version of IPB from their main site to test it out and get a feel for it. I don't know if vBulletin does that too, but if they let you have a test run, take it first before sending all that green

I also have a preference to IPB because I find it easy for members to use and also easy to manage. :grin:

wizeman

Banned
Reaction score
AsPeRiTy said:
It kind of depends on what you are looking for... I personally like IPB because the service is great and the admin panel and modding is easier to use. But if you want something that is a little more customizable (in my opinion) and know how to use the admin panel well enough then I would go with VB. I personally though prefer IPB.

I agree but in my opinion i would say vB is much better cuz if u pay for it u should probably get wat u paid for...

vBulletin RULES!