WHich Forum Software is better?

Discussion in 'Scripts, 3rd Party Apps, and Programming' started by MicrotechXP, Jun 18, 2005.

Which Forum Software is better?

1. IPB 2.04

56.5%
  2. vBullitin 3.07

43.5%
  1. devHead

devHead New Member

Well, I'm not aware of a comprehensive, make your own forum tutorial, I can point you here: http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials/103/0.php

That tutorial will get you going. I'm currently working on a development community, graciously hosted by our very own x10 (http://devhead.x10hosting.com). I'm still writing the framework, and as I'm writing the framework, I'm writing a series of tutorials explaining the framework, and is basically a step-by-step guide on creating your own extensible (meaning mods, etc) data-driven website framework like the devHead Framework. Included will be a specific series of tutorials on the modules included with the framework (ie: user system, config-file system [Compatible with the Apache Config File Format], database system [Supporting MySQL and SQLite, and the ability to easily abstract your own database system for different types of SQL servers], article system, tutorial system, forum system and a dynamic image processing system I've written called devShop, which basically allows you to dynamically process your images with Photoshop like functions [ex: Text Shadowing, Colorizing, Layering, Outlined Text, Transparent Text, etc, while supporting custom TTF fonts], so keep checking the site until I get everything going, should be a week at the latest.

Well, that was long-winded, and I hope everybody is able to have as much fun learning and reading the tutorials as I'm having writing them, and I plan on releasing the whole series into the x10 forums as well when they are done, because it's not fair for you guys to be forced to go to my site to read them, as it'd be much easier to just read them here.

2. MicrotechXP

MicrotechXP New Member

WOW! That was a very good! You convinced me! Right now I am going to use one of those 2 to get me going but then when I learn and made my own I will be using that! Thank you very much!

3. devHead

devHead New Member

Not at all. As I said, I am here to educate.

4. MicrotechXP

MicrotechXP New Member

Just one more question..right now I am reading the tutorial and it says:

Now to create the tables:

WHere do I do that? On notpad or somthing?

5. devHead

devHead New Member

When it says 'create the tables', it means the database tables. This is going to be new to you, particularly because you don't have experience with PHP or MySQL. My advice to you, for now, get a grasp of PHP, then a grasp of MySQL, then go back and tackle that tutorial. You need to build up a familiarity with PHP and MySQL first.

Here, go to the PHPFreaks tutorials, and start reading:
    http://www.phpfreaks.com/tutorials.php

After you've grasped the main topics and dynamics of PHP and MySQL, you will be able to follow the tutorial with ease.

6. CKG690

CKG690 New Member

V Bulletin is the best, IMO.

7. Richard

Richard Active Member

Another thing to consider is value for money. With vB you only get a year of updates while IPB you get lifetime updates.

8. CKG690

CKG690 New Member

Do you know how much IPB costs?

9. Richard

Richard Active Member

This is for Owned Licenses (for one board):

Vbulletin: $160.00

Inversion Power Board: $185.00

10. CKG690

CKG690 New Member

Whoa, for some reason, I thought IPB was cheaper than VB.

11. Iceman

Iceman New Member

I prefer IPB because I feel that its modding community is more active and original in many aspects. Although there are a few great mods (RPG Inferno) for VBulletin, they cost money, so that drastically takes that score down.

12. Iceman

Iceman New Member

PHPBB probably has the best modding community available; though. I wouldn't choose it because of its recent loopholes which allow for easy hacking.

13. chaganlal1

chaganlal1 New Member

id say IPB because vbulletin is a nice software but like iceman says it costs sum $$ for few nice mods

14. n4tec

n4tec Active Member

When you want something always try to forgot get about the price.. Just get what your heart desires... So my friend choose the best of the two...

15. MicrotechXP

MicrotechXP New Member

Ok I have chosen! I have chosen IPB 2.04! I will be using that untill I make my own...thank you all for your help and thanks for voting!

16. asianu

asianu New Member

You could download a trial version of IPB from their main site to test it out and get a feel for it. I don't know if vBulletin does that too, but if they let you have a test run, take it first before sending all that green

17. BigEmmaFanz

BigEmmaFanz New Member

I also have a preference to IPB because I find it easy for members to use and also easy to manage. :grin:

18. wizeman

wizeman Banned

I agree but in my opinion i would say vB is much better cuz if u pay for it u should probably get wat u paid for...

vBulletin RULES!