Votes: 137 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't do gaming, so I'm fine free of windows.

I use Fedora 11 with wine and Ubuntu Netbook Remix on my laptop.

I'm saving up for a Mac.

~Callum

boris333

Reaction score
I don't have an all time 'favorite' Operating System, but I have used quite a few.

Windows XP - Probably one of my top picks, as it's been pretty reliable, relatively easy to use, and has been a suitable platform for gaming compatibility and performance.

Ubuntu - 8.10 was pretty good for me. Relatively stable and easy to use. 9.04 did a 180 degree turn, however, and was the most unstable operating system I have ever used.

Windows Vista - Overly bloated and the security measures in it proved to be an annoyance.

Windows 7 - Due to some connections, I was able to get the full retail version of Windows 7 Professional several weeks ago, and I enjoy it immensely. I have had zero issues with it, it is far less bloated than Vista ever was, appears to be as reliable as anything else I've ever used, has had zero compatibility issues, and the security features do not impede the user as much.

If I had to choose just one of these, I would likely go with XP or 7, though I want to play around with 7 a bit more before I make a final decision.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
9.04 did a 180 degree turn, however, and was the most unstable operating system I have ever used.
Veeeeeery true. I'm about ready to switch to openSuse. Their 11.0 version was a great turnaround from a buggy 10.0.

eradicator69

Reaction score
Windows XP is the way for me. Windows Vista just LOOKS nice. So I got the best of both worlds by installing a BricoPack on my Windows XP SP3 ;)

By the way..I have never used a Mac but AM interesting in trying one soon. So perhaps my love for the glorious Windows XP will dwindle eventually :biggrin:

dqvteatro

Reaction score
I prefer Mac OS X.

It's not what I'm using, though. Right now I'm with a borrowed PC using XP, because my own PC got fried (Ms. Motherboard somehow decided to commit suicide). On said PC I had Ubuntu and Win XP (in a double boot system). Of those, I prefer Ubuntu, by far. XP I only had in order to run certain software that was unstable under WINE on Ubuntu. But for that XP, I had already got rid of everything microsoft. Other IM software, OpenOffice, etc.
Let's see how Windows 7 comes, but as for proprietary OS I think I'll stay with Mac OS X.

lynnwood

Reaction score
For the past 13 years, I have always had a PC with Slackware installed on it. My main PC at work is running Slackware. I have tried many other distros but I just couldn't seem to commit to anything else. However, last year I installed xubuntu on my personal laptop at home and it is still running xubuntu. I have actually grown to like it for its stability and ease of maintenance.

As for windoze, I simply do not understand why anyone would pay $$ for it. I actually know people with relatively new PCs that are planning to spend hundreds of dollars for Windows 7! If you can't figure out Vista, maybe you should by a Mac.

kkenny

Reaction score
I prefer Mac OS X.

It's not what I'm using, though. Right now I'm with a borrowed PC using XP, because my own PC got fried (Ms. Motherboard somehow decided to commit suicide). On said PC I had Ubuntu and Win XP (in a double boot system). Of those, I prefer Ubuntu, by far. XP I only had in order to run certain software that was unstable under WINE on Ubuntu. But for that XP, I had already got rid of everything microsoft. Other IM software, OpenOffice, etc.
Let's see how Windows 7 comes, but as for proprietary OS I think I'll stay with Mac OS X.

I agree. MAC is so much better than PC in terms of just getting things done (school-wise)

Danielx386

Reaction score
In fact, I rather use Windows 7.
Why?
Xp is getting old
Windows Vista suck, nothing work even with SP2 install
And Windows 7 run faster on my hardware.

masshuu

Head of the Geese
Community Support
Enemy of the State
Reaction score
I also prefer Windows 7. The new window management(taskbar) icons and grouping makes it easy for someone like to have 40 windows open and not realize it. Combining the fact that i have 8 gigs of ram and that i turned off paging file, there there when i need them.

Start up time is about twice as fast as XP, the only driver ive had to download and install was the one for my tablet, otherwise its saved me several hours of trying to find the divers and install them. It even saved me the hassle of trying to get the installer for my sound card drivers and utilities to realize my sound card is there.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I haven't used windows 7 yet, but from what people are saying it's pretty good.

I would be interested to a benchmark comparison between Windows 7 and something like Ubuntu or Fedora.

Anyone dual booting yet?

~Callum

ah-blabla

Reaction score
I also prefer Windows 7. The new window management(taskbar) icons and grouping makes it easy for someone like to have 40 windows open and not realize it. Combining the fact that i have 8 gigs of ram and that i turned off paging file, there there when i need them..
Still only one desktop in Windows then? I don't think M$ will ever catch up.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
Just FYI, without arguing about "catch up". There is Desktops application. And whole Sysinternals Suit is really useful.

I quote from the desktops application:
on up to four virtual desktops
Only four - that's not much is it? And the other problem is that this isn't an integral part of windows: the last time I tried it it made the computer considerably slower. The integration isn't particularly good either, whereas many GNU/Linux desktops are, by design, multi-desktop desktop. (You can install other "desktops" for Window$, but they were all pretty measly, nothing beats the productivity of a well set-up kde3.5, gnome or xfce... or whatever other one you choose.) That's my main problem with windows, desktop organisation is just so poor.

nxtitle

Reaction score
I am a hardcore Linux user, and I have tried out the majority of the distros out there. I used to use red hat back when it was free.

My favourite, however, is Ubuntu, simply because if you EVER have a problem with something, you can search it on google or their forums and find exactly what you are looking for. It's usually quite a bit tougher to find help on other distributions.

Also, standardization is good for anybody, and since I develop a lot of things in my spare time, developing for Ubuntu as a whole is a good idea, because it will then be more compatible. I mean it's linux, it will be compatible with almost everything, however sometimes it makes a difference.

That all being said, I also use Windows quite a bit, so I dual-boot all of my computers. Currently it's Ubuntu with Windows XP, however I'm going to take a look at windows 7.

Also, check it out - Ubuntu 9.10 is being released on the 29th and Windows 7 is being released on the 22nd; I wonder how this is going to work out :biggrin:

Stormscape

Reaction score
I think we're gonna need a new version of this poll in 4-5 weeks time, what with Windows 7 about a week away from general availability. =D At the moment for me it's XP but on the 23rd it'll probably be 7.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
I am a hardcore Linux user, and I have tried out the majority of the distros out there. I used to use red hat back when it was free.

My favourite, however, is Ubuntu, simply because if you EVER have a problem with something, you can search it on google or their forums and find exactly what you are looking for. It's usually quite a bit tougher to find help on other distributions.

Also, standardization is good for anybody, and since I develop a lot of things in my spare time, developing for Ubuntu as a whole is a good idea, because it will then be more compatible. I mean it's linux, it will be compatible with almost everything, however sometimes it makes a difference.

That all being said, I also use Windows quite a bit, so I dual-boot all of my computers. Currently it's Ubuntu with Windows XP, however I'm going to take a look at windows 7.

Also, check it out - Ubuntu 9.10 is being released on the 29th and Windows 7 is being released on the 22nd; I wonder how this is going to work out :biggrin:
I used to be an Ubuntu fan, but 9.04 let me down. Actually, letting go of KDE 3.5 was the worst thing for me. Anyway, when I updated to 9.04 I first had a whole lot of bother to get KDE 3.5 back (i.e. from an unofficial repo), and then wireless broke. I therefore reverted back to 8.04 which I'll probably continue using for a while. (The reason I wanted 9.04 was to get the newest version of HPLIP, so after downgrading I had to do a manual compile). On the other hand I hear 9.10 is better, and KDE4 is actually well functioning, so I might try it out if I happen to find time to do so.

neverlate2day

Reaction score
This thread has been active for quite some time
How can I edit the poll to include a Windows 7 option
I've been using RC2 for quite a while now and im already a fan

WINDOWS 7!!!!!

dharshan

Reaction score
Windows Xp is my choice, but by the looks of it I'm guessing this thread is old, as it does not have windows 7 on the voting list. what we should know is that an operating system is a piece of software which allows us to basically interact with the hardware. even I use windows xp, i do not like idea that one company controlling the computer experience of 90% of pc users around the world. there should be another competitive OS which can challenge windows, so we will get innovative ideas and better products to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.