Which Power Plan do you use?

dfsgdgdf

Reaction score
Topic says it all. Which power plan do you use in Windows?

I normally have it on Balanced for normal usage (27% min frequency/100% max frequency), and switch to High Performance for gaming (100% frequency).

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm always on Balanced and I don't recall ever changing this setting before. I'm not really a gamer so I don't really need high performance and since this is a desktop computer that's always connected to power, there isn't much need to go into Energy Saver mode.

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Power Saver. Because my fan sucks and if I switch to anything else it overheats and crashes.. >.>

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Advanced - I DIY'd my own cause I don't trust the presets XD

Although TBH it's probably closest to balanced.

IonCannon218

Reaction score
Desktop - Balanced but customized

Laptop - Switch between power saver (on battery) and balanced (on AC). Both are customized.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
High Performance with a bunch of tweaks on both my laptop and desktop. Desktop is obviously made to be a high performance machine, and is used for more than running games. Basically, don't need any power saving options reducing performance of it despite it being on 24/7 under load (Folding@Home, 3x GPU and 1x SMB 64-bits). I do however have the GPUs and the CPU throttling back clocks (and even shutting off idle cores, since it's an i7 machine) when they are under low load or are idle for the sake of power, so it isn't a 100% clock power eating machine when it's not doing anything.

The laptop is ran on a custom profile that mirrors the High Performance Profile. Cooling is set to Active for both Battery and AC. Integrated Video will throttle to Battery Saving mode, which is enough to accelerate 1080p video and run Aero, but when games fire up it'll kick itself back into Maximum Performance. The CPU is set to the same defaults as the High Performance, which is lowest CPU running state when idle and maximum state (in clocks) when loaded for the sake of things, but if I know I'm going to be needing battery for a very, very long time I'll switch the CPU to run at lower clocks when under full load. Wireless is always at Maximum Performance since I always seem to be connected in the worst of spots (which is generally through a lot of thick walls at the edge of the access point's range). Ethernet Adapter uses a mode that turns it on and off every 30 seconds to check for a link. It will remain on and at full speed if it's linked up but otherwise will remain off. Wireless when it's not connected will scan once every few minutes but will otherwise turn off the radio.

Last edited:

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Which power plan do you use in Windows?

For Desktop:

Maximum Performance

My BIOS Manager has some power management settings, but I have set them to Turbo (Not OverClocked) mode!

For Laptop:

I change the settings depending ‘where’ it is –not what it is connected to.

When it is on the table, it is in full performance mode, even if it isn’t connected to supply.

When it is on my lap, then I set it to “Maximum Savings” Mode.
I have an Apple MacBook Pro (with Win7) and it is just like a crazy nuclear reactor about to explode.
And as you all know, that tremendous heat is dangerous to the count! Ha-ha!

Last edited: