Who has the best web browser? IE vs FF vs Chrome

What is your prefered browser?

• Total voters

coolv1994

Reaction score
Recently Microsoft has released a new browser, Internet Explorer 9, which is still in beta testing. Their new UI is like Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome put toghter in one amazing browser, but that is my opinion. So what I'm asking is which is your prefered browser; Firefox, Chrome, or Internet Explorer? And if you haven't tried the IE9 Beta, I would suggest you do I found it to be one of the best web browsers yet. You can download here.

Last edited:

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, you've essentially given us a biased poll by missing out a proportion of the market who use Opera or Safari etc.
Anyway, I haven't had much time for testing IE 9, but from first impressions it is considerably better than previous versions, although the rendering of pages is still a little quirky in places. I still don't see it as a viable platform that I would consider moving to use on any basis beyond testing of sites (Plus I have to boot into a different OS just to run it properly).

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I use Chrome the majority of the time. I have Firefox installed and consider it a very good Browser and I also have Opera installed though I very seldom use it. Neither IE nor Safari or options for me at the present time due to Ubuntu OS.

Useless Fact:
There are more chickens than people in the world.
(So I have been told)

Last edited:

coolv1994

Reaction score
Well, you've essentially given us a biased poll by missing out a proportion of the market who use Opera or Safari etc.
Anyway, I haven't had much time for testing IE 9, but from first impressions it is considerably better than previous versions, although the rendering of pages is still a little quirky in places. I still don't see it as a viable platform that I would consider moving to use on any basis beyond testing of sites (Plus I have to boot into a different OS just to run it properly).
Lol I completely forgot about Safari and Opera, but I guess you could count that as other.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Ever since Google Chrome hit the market it's all I have been using, due to the fact that each browser tab runs it's own process. This is good for me due to the shear amount of sites that break on me from doing Technical Support, etc. Before when a site took down Firefox, I lost all my work, sometimes 40+ tabs as I multitask a lot. Now with Google Chrome, if a specific tab crashes I don't loose all my work, makes me more productive, more productive keeps Corey away and the world is happy.

I would like to see other browsers move to this system to in the future, as it's a great way to save a lot of work.

Last edited:

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
Ever since Google Chrome hit the market it's all I have been using, due to the fact that each browser tab runs it's own process. This is good for me due to the shear amount of sites that break on me from doing Technical Support, etc. Before when a site took down Firefox, I lost all my work, sometimes 40+ tabs as I multitask a lot. Now with Google Chrome, if a specific tab crashes I don't loose all my work, makes me more productive, more productive keeps Corey away and the world is happy.

I would like to see other browsers move to this system to in the future, as it's a great way to save a lot of work.

Internet Explorer 8+ also has the isolated tabs feature, though it doesn't isolate plugins like Chrome does.

Firefox 3.6.4+ just has isolated plugins for now.

I'm currently using Firefox 4.0 Beta 6 regularly and I'm quite comfortable with it.

I also have Chrome running, but I prefer Firefox's Firebug over Chrome's web developer tools as well as AdBlock Plus for Firefox. There doesn't seem to be a real ad "blocker" for Chrome, only hiders.

I've been testing Internet Explorer 9 recently and I'm quite impressed with it, except having tabs on the same row as the address bar makes things really cluttered as I don't have a widescreen monitor.

nabajit.white42

Reaction score
Google chrome is no doubtly the best web browser. it may not have many options like firefox and IE has. But for fast browsing chrome is the best...................................:wink:

edp773

Reaction score
I prefer Firefox because it loads faster and has less problems than IE. If a website does cause it to crash all the current tabs can be selected on the next time the browser is opened. Just quickly close the tab that caused the problem.

Chrome is fine, but did not catch my attention enough for long use.

jcscherer82

Reaction score
Well let me just say straight up that I do not trust Google. This could be the reason why I like Firefox. Also, the extensions that it has for developers is amazing. I like the firebug extension the best. It helps me find new ideas for my own websites. Also, it has become quite fast. I remember the days of the first Firefox and it was quite slow. Their framework has become quite amazing and so has the speed. Yes, there are other web browsers that do certain things better but Firefox has been great for me.

Another thing Firefox has going for it is the fact that it is a standards compliant browser. It is up to speed with CSS3 and HTML5 whereas Internet Explorer is still horrible with both. I realize that neither of these have become a standard but they are still useful, especially for web developers.

Well I think that is all I really do have to say on this fact but if anyone has anymore thoughts then go ahead.

Justin

patriotseminar72

Reaction score
Well let me just say straight up that I do not trust Google. This could be the reason why I like Firefox. Also, the extensions that it has for developers is amazing. I like the firebug extension the best. It helps me find new ideas for my own websites. Also, it has become quite fast. I remember the days of the first Firefox and it was quite slow. Their framework has become quite amazing and so has the speed. Yes, there are other web browsers that do certain things better but Firefox has been great for me.

Another thing Firefox has going for it is the fact that it is a standards compliant browser. It is up to speed with CSS3 and HTML5 whereas Internet Explorer is still horrible with both. I realize that neither of these have become a standard but they are still useful, especially for web developers.

Well I think that is all I really do have to say on this fact but if anyone has anymore thoughts then go ahead.

Justin
Well if you don't like google, you can try one of the chromium forks, or just stright chromium. They all have similar structures to chrome, and the same rendering engine.

At this point, from the choices you have given - IE9 is without doubt the best. It is the only one you list that has hardware acceleration. However, if you are willing to consider Firefox 4 beta. And especially the alpha, it is - from my experience just as good at hardware acceleration if not better. Chrome also has hardware acceleration in its alpha version, but IE9 and Firefox Alpha both have 64bit versions that make things like The Fish Tank Demo run much better. Also, Chrome's hardware acceleration is lacking and cannot truly be considered along side browsers that already support hardware acceleration.

themvrules74

Reaction score
Well, I'm using Firefox 3.5.15 now. I'd like to update to FF 3.6 but my computer is a bit slow for that.

I have tested Chrome, but the tabs always stop responding with that ugly image...

I am using Adblock Plus too, I like it.

I have not tested IE9 so I can't say anything about it. However IE7 and IE8 sucks according to me. Too slow. I have not tested Opera either. (if not the Nintendo Wii browser count, it's OK)

pplace

Reaction score
as a designer/developer for many years, i have a range of browsers loaded on my machines, both for testing compatibility and for browser specific target marketing. the 3 popular browsers are ok, each has its own strengths as well as weaknesses. while working, firefox is my choice. beyond having to work with different browsers, which one browser is my personal favorite for non-work related use?

Opera, hands down: full functioning with a great dedicated international user community support; security issues always a major concern first; speed is better than the competition; smaller memory footprint; plug-ins, skins, 'widgets', etc., it's got everything necessary to keep techies/noobies satisfied.

my 2 cents.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Safari or Chrome for general use, they're basically exactly the same for mac.

Firefox for debugging stuff - LOVE firebug

IE for downloading something else

~Callum

vekou

Reaction score

Justin

Can you state your reason why you don't trust Google? I'm no Google fanboy but I think Google is better than other big companies out there, way better. But I do hate Microsoft. No questions asked.

Anyway, for me I like Chrome/Chromium, it's way faster than the other browsers. Firefox is fast but very slow on loading especially if you have a lot of add-ons. It would check for updates online first before you can actually use it to surf the net. IE starts up fast, but loads pages horribly.

For me the cons and pros of Chrome are it has the fastest page load time than other browsers (take note: page load time, the time it takes to display a page, not download the page). The interface is clean and non-intrusive. It is also a standards compliant browser with support for CSS3 and HTML5 tags, since it uses Webkit Layout Engine. The Javascript engine is very fast, very good for dynamic sites. The bad side is that it is not that customizable. The themes can only change the color/texture of the window and not redesign it. The plugins are just a Javascript implementation and no way dwells into the low-level structure of Chrome. But still, if I'm going to surf the net, performance is better than looks.

Regarding Firefox, I like it because of its customizability. When I want to download stuff, I use its plugins like DownThemAll to act as a Download Manager that can simultaneously download a file by downloading it in multiple parts. It is also my primary browser when I want to access FTP. FireFTP is way better than other stand-alone clients. Other plugins can detect and download videos from YouTube without installing anything to your OS. Themes are great! It makes Firefox not look like Firefox! Great when you want some compliment to your eye-candy desktop. I don't see any major con with this browser except that Chrome surpasses it with performance.

About IE8/9, I'm not sure what advantage it will offer you against other browsers, aside from its tight integration with the Microsoft website. ActiveX plugins are sometimes required to check for updates to your Windows installation right from your browser. As for the cons, the rendering engine is VERY quirky. Cannot render correctly complex websites. A conditional CSS code is usually needed to make other websites render correctly. Downloading files is horrible, the GUI still looks like the 90s. Aside from that, I use this browser just for testing purposes. When I want to make sure my website displays correctly, I use IE.

chanh.ong25

Reaction score
It depends on what is the environment and for what application and what purpose.

Different browser fit different needs there is no one size fit all browser.

For enterprise and Windows environment IE is the only choice that make sense for tight Windows security integration feature and now with IE 9 to be soon release it is even better for standard compliant.

FF is best with add-on like firebug, gmarks, web developer.

Chrome if you want to get a quick start up but if you start loading a whole bunch of add-on it might slow down to the point unusable as well as other browser. I hate the bookmark in Chrome, why it does not use the original Google bookmark but use something else which make no sense to me!

Opera is great choice to check out bleed edge standard since it is very aggressive and hence lot of site don't even show correctly in Opera.

mike02x90

Reaction score
So far, I like Firefox, I pretty much used Firefox almost when it started and since then I been using it.
Besides the reason I stopped using IE is due to the wormholes that it has had before, not saying FF is the safest but so far I never had any issue with it, also what I like is that Firefox is Open Source and you can add whatever you like into it.

I once used Chrome and it was interesting however when I used it, it was barely in it's beta phase.

As for IE 9, Opera or Safari?
Ive used Opera, but somehow the GUI didn't convince me, but that could be me.

For Safari? Never tried it.

I will try the IE9, because I installed IE8 and it crashed on me hardcore so I pretty much stayed with FF, and at work I use IE6 since so far is the most stable for loading multiple tabs.

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
But I do hate Microsoft. No questions asked.

I'm going to ask.

Why? Why all this rage against a company full of talented software engineers who have coded a platform and a wide range of applications/suites that can run on such a diverse range of hardware combinations?

I work for a massive company that makes big profits. Do you hate me, too?

montyp

Reaction score
as a designer/developer for many years, i have a range of browsers loaded on my machines, both for testing compatibility and for browser specific target marketing. the 3 popular browsers are ok, each has its own strengths as well as weaknesses. beyond having to work with different browsers, which one browser is my personal favorite for non-work related use?

Opera, hands down: full functioning with a great dedicated international user community support; security issues always a major concern first; speed is better than the competition; smaller memory footprint; plug-ins, skins, 'widgets', etc., it's got everything necessary to keep techies/noobies satisfied.

my 2 cents.

get my vote +1