Who Here Grabbed Windows 7?

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Grabbed a leaked Microsoft link for the 32-bit version 2 hours before the beta went live, and then grabbed a key some 4-5 hours after the beta went live (lucky refresh).

I read that someone installed Windows 7 on a 1 GHz processor and 512 MB RAM and "ran well". Fortunately I have a similar machine which can challenge this statement, my test machine in question is a 1.3 GHz P4 and a 512 MB RAM. I plan on installing tomorrow, and if successful I'll post some benchmark stats here.

Anyone else grab the beta?

xPlozion

Reaction score
not yet. where would _someone_ get a key for this so i dont' have to use an activator crack or w/e?

ps i'm too lazy to google this :p

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm downloading the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Windows 7. Both downloads started a few minutes ago and should be done within an hour or so. I still need to grab myself a key but I'm not sure if I'm going to install this to my older boxes or not.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
When it's available you will be able to download the beta from: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx

Currently they have removed the download because their servers can't cope with the number of people who want it.
Thanks for your interest in the Windows 7 Beta. The volume has been phenomenal—we're in the process of adding more servers to handle the demand. We're sorry for the delay and we'll re-post the Beta as soon as we can ensure a quality download experience.

F

Fahad

I've got it! This is amazing!

And not only that: IE8 is so much better than Firefox!

nexhunter

Reaction score
I got it also and it is much better well preforming on my pc than vista did, except for when firefox crashes it doesn't seem to want to close or allow my computer to shutdown so have to do hard reboot

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I am trying to find someone that can mirror it because I seem banned from microsofts server for some reason. I can only dl 185 mb then it says it's finnished

Wizet

Reaction score
Hey if I download Windows 7 does that mean my Vista and all my other files will be deleted as well?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hey if I download Windows 7 does that mean my Vista and all my other files will be deleted as well?

No, windows 7 is just an .iso file that you can burn to a dvd. Downloading it and burning it to a dvd won't do anything to your computer.

Vista will only get wiped off your drive if you choose that option during the install proccess. You can dual boot the two I think?

Wizet

Reaction score
Now, now where can I get a dvd cd? Also do you "need" to burn it into a dvd or can you just open the program?

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I'm downloading it now, but it's going to take a while (Slow internet connection). I wish Microsoft weren't using that Java download manager, a proper download manager would make it so much easier (But hey, that's Microsoft)

I'm going to test it in VMWare, I don't trust it to not touch the rest of my system.

Wizet

Reaction score
Hey Tech Ash. Which version of VMWare do I use for windows 7? Also when I looked at the downloads page it seems that I need a registeration key in order for it to work to its best ability?

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I'm downloading it now, but it's going to take a while (Slow internet connection). I wish Microsoft weren't using that Java download manager, a proper download manager would make it so much easier (But hey, that's Microsoft)

I'm going to test it in VMWare, I don't trust it to not touch the rest of my system.

You can get a direct URL - simply change the bit before microsoft.com to download (so it looks like download.microsoft.com/whatever).

I got Windows 7 yesterday from Neowin (the official public beta), and got a key today.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Now, now where can I get a dvd cd? Also do you "need" to burn it into a dvd or can you just open the program?

Yes, you "need" to burn it to a dvd if you plan to install it on your computer. If you're going to test it with vmware then no you don't need to burn it to a dvd.

Wizet

Reaction score
Good I just found that out when I installed it. Now the problem is that VMWare lasts for a month bummer.

JXVForums

Reaction score
I didn't get Windows 7 only because I don't have a good enough speed but I did get a couple of beta keys, for my friends who aren't home today.

xPlozion

Reaction score
i just installed it a little bit ago on a spare 160gb hdd (i have a 1tb and a 500gb seagate sata drives as well).

it's weird, cause i'm no used to vista, and i'm not used to this either. i'm used to xp and gnome, but time will tell if i like it or if i'm still using xp (w/out support) when win7 comes out to purchase...

had it not been for my older ide hdd (which is only like a year or so old), my performance index would be at best 5.9 (graphics card)

Processor: 7.1
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory (RAM): 5.9
4.00 GB
Graphics: 7.9
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)
Gaming graphics: 5.9
2303 MB Total available graphics memory
Primary hard disk: 1.9
134GB Free (149GB Total)

Last edited: