Who needs DBD::Pg? Perl Module

Should DBD::Pg be installed so Perl users can access PostgreSQL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vol7ron

Reaction score
DBD::pg is a database driver so that Perl programmers can connect to PostgreSQL.

Since PostgreSQL is offered, this module needs to be installed, but support staff will not install it without the "need" to be there from the x10 users.

Therefore, I'm asking that all of you please choose that this module is installed - without it, it is much harder to use the PostgreSQL database.

Thank you,
vol7ron

BTW:
DBD::MySQL is installed so that Perl users can access MySQL, but Postgres is superior to MySQL in almost every way.

vol7ron

Reaction score
Note:
I have made this a temporary sticky for one week.

It will be unstuck 12:00 AM Sunday February 8th, 2009 and rejoin with the rest of the posts.

This is to both address the concern for the install and to consider the true purpose and importance of longterm, meaningful stickies.

vol7ron

Reaction score
If you use PostgreSQL, or would like to, please post that here too. I'm curious how many people are interested in it.

Thequestion

Reaction score
I don't think PostgreSQL is even installed on the free servers. If I had a choice between MySQL and PostgreSQL I would take PostgreSQL. But no complaints here, I'd rather have something than nothing at all.

vol7ron

Reaction score
It has just recently been installed and is working for me. I've been talking to Corey about this for a while now. I'm going to check and see if the Perl DBI drivers are working correctly.

vol7ron

Reaction score
Okay the DBI drivers have been installed! The next step that I'm pushing for is to get PostgreSQL upgraded to 8.3.

PostgreSQL 8.3+ has a search functionality built in that will help make indexing your site easier. So instead of relying on Google for the in-site searches, you can build your own, pretty easy and cheap.

If you have MySQL, try installing PostgreSQL and just compare speeds. They may be comparatively the same, but if you have lots of records the Pg should be faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.