Why can't some people think for themselves?

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
Just a question, I can ask now that i'm not acting as staff here.. As staff, I saw alot of irritating things, from people asking dumb questions, to the easiest things in the world. No one knows how to do research anymore, and figure a problem out. It's mind boggling on how many people here would rather make a ticket, or a forum post for the smallest issues, and they can NEVER read the server alerts, which usually CLEARLY tell whats going on with x10. To those people.. USE THE SEARCH FEATURE. ITS THERE FOR A REASON!

Thats my little rant. ;)

zen-r

Reaction score
Agreed!

Another thing is that sometimes, if you answer 1 question for them, they then see it as an open invitation to take up the rest of your day with a back & forth question & answer session.

I'm happy to answer questions if people have made a genuine effort to find things out for themselves - but I'm not going to wipe their <proverbial> for them! :hsnono:

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Just a question, I can ask now that i'm not acting as staff here.. As staff, I saw alot of irritating things, from people asking dumb questions, to the easiest things in the world. No one knows how to do research anymore, and figure a problem out. It's mind boggling on how many people here would rather make a ticket, or a forum post for the smallest issues, and they can NEVER read the server alerts, which usually CLEARLY tell whats going on with x10. To those people.. USE THE SEARCH FEATURE. ITS THERE FOR A REASON!

Thats my little rant. ;)

I used to tell people to search the forums until I tried doing it myself. For some particular topics, it's pretty easy to find a post that gives information about how to resolve your issue. For others, you get hundreds of garbage threads, so you sort of have no choice but to create your new thread (unless you want to spend the rest of your day reading through all the search results).

I know a lot of people complain about these two questions because they have such direct and simple answers, but if you try searching for them, vBulletin takes out most of the words because they're too common and you get completely irrelevant results:

1. What are the nameservers?
2. Do we have to post to avoid inactivity suspension?

After experiencing how torturous it can be searching the forums, I usually just answer the questions instead of telling them to search the forums. I guess the more we answer it, the higher the chance of a legitimate thread appearing in the search results and helping someone else out.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I know how you feel. I worked in customer support service for a telecommunication company. It was a phone version of Yellow Pages and White Pages combined. I was in direct phone contact with over a 900 customers EVERY DAY. Believe me when I say you don't know nothing about dumb questions :lol::lol::lol:

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I used to tell people to search the forums until I tried doing it myself. For some particular topics, it's pretty easy to find a post that gives information about how to resolve your issue. For others, you get hundreds of garbage threads, so you sort of have no choice but to create your new thread (unless you want to spend the rest of your day reading through all the search results).

I know a lot of people complain about these two questions because they have such direct and simple answers, but if you try searching for them, vBulletin takes out most of the words because they're too common and you get completely irrelevant results:

1. What are the nameservers?
2. Do we have to post to avoid inactivity suspension?

After experiencing how torturous it can be searching the forums, I usually just answer the questions instead of telling them to search the forums. I guess the more we answer it, the higher the chance of a legitimate thread appearing in the search results and helping someone else out.

Maybe staff, in their spare time, could delete or hide crap threads? I'm sure this would enhance the search feature.

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Maybe staff, in their spare time, could delete or hide crap threads? I'm sure this would enhance the search feature.

I guess that this thread would disappear then! :naughty:

There is a lot of truth in the difficulties of using Search.

But sometimes you just know that the person hasn't even bothered. Especially when the info also appears in the Stickies & FAQs, or has already been answered several times that day.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think people would find more relevant results if they took the time to restrict the search to a specific forum (i.e. Support).
I guess that this thread would disappear then! :naughty:

There is a lot of truth in the difficulties of using Search.

But sometimes you just know that the person hasn't even bothered. Especially when the info also appears in the Stickies & FAQs, or has already been answered several times that day.

Maybe only remove support posts which never got a reply or that there are tons of duplicates of?

lhyman

Reaction score
The art of searching (the forums) is to keep opening up each trend (in a new tab) until you find what you are looking for... sometimes I spend hours searching for what I need, here on the forums and with google...

I am not educated, nobody ever taught me anything, I have taught myself everything.... for me searching is learning....

If I could not search, I could not learn, If I could not learn, I could not work, If I could not work, I could not support my family....

Last edited:

allen92

Reaction score
I think it boils down the fact that this is a sign of the times. Sadly, our modern society has encouraged laziness. Case in point(some might sat this is extreme,but it is not)at one time you couldn't buy fresh bread, you had to make it. There was no such thing as pre-cut bread! If you asked for pre-cut bread, people would probably think that you were crazy. So as we can see through the years by means of "Modern Inventions" we as an race have become more and more "lazy".

wolfster

Reaction score
The art of searching (the forums) is to keep opening up each trend (in a new tab) until you find what you are looking for... sometimes I spend hours searching for what I need, here on the forums and with google...

I am not educated, nobody ever taught me anything, I have taught myself everything.... for me searching is learning....

If I could not search, I could not learn, If I could not learn, I could not work, If I could not work, I could not support my family....

Totally agree, refining a search several times usually gets me what im looking for, but what winds me up is when people ask something silly like 'how do I add a signature' and they havent even looked at my clans FAQ page :dunno:

There is an art to searching which lots of people lack, I find that lots of people only search 1 or 2 sites, only use google and one word searches.
If they used several words and variations on words they would probably find an answer, most of it is probably down to idleness the cba generation.....

ah-blabla

Reaction score
I think it boils down the fact that this is a sign of the times. Sadly, our modern society has encouraged laziness. Case in point(some might sat this is extreme,but it is not)at one time you couldn't buy fresh bread, you had to make it. There was no such thing as pre-cut bread! If you asked for pre-cut bread, people would probably think that you were crazy. So as we can see through the years by means of "Modern Inventions" we as an race have become more and more "lazy".
Depends where you are. Great Britain I can say most definetely yes (America I don't have a clue about, but I presume yes). Go a bit further east, in central Europe, and you'll find people are a bit more sensible. Precut bread is available, but not widespread. (You can actually get good bread in central Europe, whereas the stuff in the UK is horrible.) And, you'll find in an equivalent German free Hoster's forum everything is somehow more sensible. So, not a sign of the times, but a sign of society in the western / english speaking world.

Oh, and searching can sometimes be quite exasparating, add to that the ineffectiveness of today's search alogorithms at finding what you want... Some things can be overseen, but mostly, yes, it's laziness.