windows 8

iearn.tk54

Reaction score
Windows 8 to spawn new breed of low-cost laptops

"Spurred by next year's introduction of [Microsoft's] new ARM-enabled Windows 8 operating system, ARM-based systems will account for 22.9 percent of global notebook PC unit shipments in 2015, up from 3 percent in 2012," Wilkins said. "Shipments will reach 74 million ARM notebooks in 2015, compared to 7.6 million in 2012."

isuppli-arm-laptop-chart-07-11.jpg

They won't break the bank, either. Systems will be priced below $700--the same "value" segment today dominated by Intel's Celeron M and Atom processors as well as Advanced Micro Devices E-series chips, wrote Wilkins. And those laptops are typically well below $700, with many in the sub-$500 segment.

Windows-8-on-ARM will, of course, require PC vendors to break from Intel and AMD--at least at the low end of the market. But they already have to some extent with tabletshttp://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/. Hewlett-Packard's TouchPad runs its WebOS software on top of Qualcomm processors and Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Acer's Iconia Tab 500, for example, run the Android. OS using chips from Nvidia. It wouldn't be a leap of faith to envision PC vendors bringing out inexpensive laptops with ARM processors.

Attachments

• isuppli-arm-laptop-chart-07-11.jpg
    isuppli-arm-laptop-chart-07-11.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

simon.evanz48

Reaction score
A great place to find out more on the current microsoft releases (including windows 8.) is a place called winbeta.org (no affiliation). There you will be able to get a load of insider gossip on the new M$ flagship OS, the target laptop market price point, its proformance in the beta stages of development, when its due for general release what is due to get dropped from each build and what's to be kept..

Also I believe that there is some (how do I say) interesting ways to go see how the new OS will work without having to install it yourself, not that I would personally, but if one were to do any "pre" beta laptop testing, etc. There was (at least when I last checked) a remote desktop conn. that allowed visitors to *TEST* drive the current version of Windows 8 OS.. check out their IRC server.

Last edited: