Would you give up cPanel for better uptime?

How important is cPanel to you?

• I can't live without it.

Votes: 113 35.5%
  • I would trade it for better uptime and stability.

Votes: 205 64.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

zen-r

Reaction score
Please see this post ; http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-announcements/98132-update.html .

It looks as though Corey may have decided upon a solution which allows X10 to keep cPanel.......in which case further speculation & suggestions made here may be a waste of time. :)

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.​

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Serios stuff
CronJobs
Filemanager (duh), with decompression and compression tools
MYSQL (Duh)
PHPmyadmin
Webmail, (just the basic stuff)

Not that bad to lose:
Error pages (not necessary)
Any auto installer would be nice (if you lost this i wouldnt mind much but i know people would spam u alive)
Website builder would be nice too
Virus scanner

Thats all 4 now

CronJobs = programmable via another system.
Filemanager = could be cloned in PHP relatively quickly, even to the compress/decompress (it's basically an exec(COMPRESSIONTOOL,PATH/2/FILEFOLDER))
MySQL = not handled by cPanel other than database creation, which could be handled by other software easily.
PHPMyAdmin = not actually part of cPanel at all, and is freely available without it.
Webmail = part of apache if I'm not mistaken.

Error pages = part of apache, cpanel just makes it easier, but it's pretty easy to just .htaccess it anyways.
Autoinstaller (Fantasticolike) = available freely again :)
Website Builder = hated, but available freely, wasn't part of cPanel.
Virus Scanner = easily replaced anyways.

Not trying to "ram it home," but yeah. X10 is awesome, but so much of this isn't handled by cPanel -anyways-. cPanel just makes it accessible, which is something any home-built or other freely-available panel software could do.

dvanillailla

Reaction score
Generally, cPanel is a very useful tool, but if you can offer a control panel that boosts uptime, and still offers mysql support and php support, and backup and sub-domains and tiny things like that, I'm perfectly fine with the change. Most good hosts out there likely won't even touch cPanel, so those who have a big problem can leave x10.

MaXiMiUS

Reaction score
I'd give up just about anything (other than PHP and MySQL) to improve this:

Page created in 37.585 seconds with 14 queries.

Lol.

blastedt

Reaction score
Assuming cPanel is removed for free accounts, would getting the double everything package put me back with it? Just learned how to use cPanel, somewhat, and a more confusing one would be terrible for me :<

Last edited:

ahrenandsara

Reaction score
While cPanel is awfully handy, I'd rather my site be more functional and up more of the time. As long as I do have a good amount of control, I'd be happy with whatever control panel was in place as longs as I also had access to PHPMyAdmin as well.

zen-r

Reaction score
Hey guys, please don't bother to read the News section, or you might realise that this thread is old & we are keeping cPanel.

Isn't it time this thread was closed?

nhales

Reaction score
X10 provides an excellent service.
cPanel is ideal for managing website.
The less down time the better.
Add accounts weekly?
Consider and trial alternative interface.
Trial without cPanel, assume use ftp?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for voting.

Thread closed for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.