Yahoo search: Warning Dangerous Downloads

josh72

Reaction score
I just found this out today, when i search for my site through yahoo it comes up but with a red link warning about dangerous downloads
I did a search for just 'x10hosting' and every page that i saw with x10hosting.com as the domain came up with the dangerous downloads warning
Any idea why this might be? It's fine with other search engines I've tried

threedee

Reaction score
I've seen this for a long time already. But if you look at it closely, Yahoo uses McAfee security scans when sites are being searched. If you notice it, it bases the overall search results to the domain itself - which means all subdomains can part of yahoo's search results (whether cached or not). The warning may have been a result of some sites using x10hosting and abused the services and their sites being flagged as dangerous, or simply Yahoo's McAfee scans finding "threat" files in some x10hosting subdomains, which then has carried on to flagging every other subdomain on x10hosting.

This is just my simple analysis, of course, considering that Yahoo uses cached results, keeps tracks of searches, and uses security scans.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Threedee's got it pretty much on - McAfee Site Advisor has been told by staff repeatedly that each subdomain should be considered a separate site. They don't - they consider all of x10hosting.com to be owned and operated by the same person.

So when one domain does something bad and doesn't get caught instantly, it black flags -everything-. About all I can recommend is any time you find something breaking the rules badly (phishing, viral files, etc), notify staff immediately so they can be dealt with. In the mean time, see if using a Co.CC domain will fix the issue - if memory serves even if the x10hosting.com domain is blacklisted, a non-x10hosting domain on an x10hosting account isn't.

josh72

Reaction score
Thanks for that, i was really wondering what was up
It doesn't look too good for x10hosting as a whole does it?
I hate it when people abuse things like this >:/

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
In this case it's both a mix of abuse of the service, and the unwillingness of the site security monitoring teams to consider each subdomain as a separate website. At least, other search engines such as Google and Bing do not flag x10 and other security software such as AVG (maybe others) don't systematically flag x10hosting's domains.

chankarwing

Reaction score
i happened to have had this problem once many years back. not only that the warning shows when you upload potentially dangerous programs on x10, if you link to one, it will also show that you have a dangerous download too.