Text speech is annoying and rude

cursedpsp

Reaction score
I am sick and fed up of seeing people writing topics that are 'formal' and yet they write like:
"Yo i ned hlp rel bad init."
A bit like that ^^

like - WHATS WRONG WITH THIS?:
"Can anyone help me?"​

Personally i think it's rude, they didn't care what they wrote and they dont care if people cant even read it. It isnt even english, and personnaly i think its cool to write properly becase it neater? Agree?

Last edited:

LHVWB

Reaction score
Please keep in mind that this website is international, so there are many people from all around the world. Many whom may not have perfect english. I do admit that it would be nicer if everyone took a little bit longer to make their posts nice and neat though, because it does make everyones life easier, especially when people are trying to help you. ;)

A neat and easy to understand post will generally get the required response quicker, so its in the best interests of the poster to make themselves understood. :biggrin:

Last edited:

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hello,

Yes I can see where you're coming from. When people do it in the Gamer's Lounge forum I edit their posts to correct them =P

-Luke.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I know what you mean cursedpsp, it can get very annoying because sometimes it's hard to work out what the person wants. It would be nice if people could be bothered to take the time to write in full, but this is a problem that probably won't go away.

hopper

Reaction score
i agree
so called 'leet' speak has its place in hacker forums and whatnot but not here
granted not everyone speaks english but deliberatly talking like that is rude, crude and obnoxious and is excedingly annoying
do everyone a favor and keep the 'leet' speak among friends and fello hackers and post in real english here, even broken english by someone whos not that good at english is better then THAT crud

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dWhite

Heh, yes....I need to deal with alot of these leet speakers in my webmaster support forum. :p

It does get annoying after awhile, but I'm used to it.

cursedpsp

Reaction score
Please keep in mind that this website is international, so there are many people from all around the world. Many whom may not have perfect english. I do admit that it would be nicer if everyone took a little bit longer to make their posts nice and neat though, because it does make everyones life easier, especially when people are trying to help you. ;)

A neat and easy to understand post will generally get the required response quicker, so its in the best interests of the poster to make themselves understood. :biggrin:

They would probably write in their own language

hopper

Reaction score
there is a spanish section here
but 'leet' isnt a language
it doesnt belong on a support forum, only hacker chat rooms and forums where everyone uses 'leet'
you woudnt want a wedding or a business meeting done in 'ebonics' either so why use 'leet' on a formal site like this

tittat

Reaction score
I agree with you all.But i wish to add that we can learn only from mistakes.We are allowed to makes mistakes in English,because we learn more.
my mother tongue is not English.And i found harder for me to learn English at the very beginning.Still now i am learning.For me i can understand Britain English,but American English is a little tough.

We all people have different level of influence in English language but we must
try to mingle each other.In this era of modern world lets break the language barrier.

hopper

Reaction score
i coudnt agree more
not everybody speaks english perfectly
but 7@lx1|\|6 11Xe 7#15 (talking like this) is just nutz
I agree with you all.But i wish to add that we can learn only from mistakes.We are allowed to makes mistakes in English,because we learn more.
my mother tongue is not English.And i found harder for me to learn English at the very beginning.Still now i am learning.For me i can understand Britain English,but American English is a little tough.

We all people have different level of influence in English language but we must
try to mingle each other.In this era of modern world lets break the language barrier.

warlordste

Reaction score
i agree with you all but we are only human and everyone has there own way of talking and writing yes it is hard to understand but dosen't it make you feel better that you are learning other ways the people talk so its not as much of a problem if you come across it another time?

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
i agree
so called 'leet' speak has its place in hacker forums and whatnot but not here
granted not everyone speaks english but deliberatly talking like that is rude, crude and obnoxious and is excedingly annoying
do everyone a favor and keep the 'leet' speak among friends and fello hackers and post in real english here, even broken english by someone whos not that good at english is better then THAT crud
I don't think you understand what leet speak is. This is an example of leet speak:
\/\/31[0/\/\3 70 ><10]-[0571|\|6
Leet speak is not the same as text speak or shorthand.
edit
i coudnt agree more
not everybody speaks english perfectly
but 7@lx1|\|6 11Xe 7#15 (talking like this) is just nutz
Oh, disregard the previous statement. However, I've never seen anyone here use "leet speak" seriously. Can you point out one post where someone is using leet speak in a serious manner?

Last edited:

tektrnica

Reaction score
text speak is VERY different from leet. lol

text shortens everything... leet... well.... here ya go.

1f j00 (4n 1234d 7|-|15, j00 n33d 70 937 |41d

hopper

Reaction score
either way
english is hard enough to understand for some foreign speakers without abbreviating it

mattura

Reaction score
Yep, I totally understand non native English speakers making mistakes. However, these are very different from pointless shorthand. I still ask myself why people shorten things that have absolutely no need to be shortened?!
Even in a text message, some 'shorthand' is little/no shorter than the original! It is just written in an alternative phonetic-type way. Like 'cum', 'ne', 'alrite', 'gona', 'gud' This also annoys me!

hopper

Reaction score
exactly
theres a difference between making mistakes in your grammar and syntax and occasional spelling error
but if i went around tlking lke ths becuz i thot it wuz lukd coo
id look like an idiot

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I have to deal with l33tspeech all the time in my game servers. I honestly don't mind it on any forums as well as I've quite adapted to seeing it. Otherwise, typing like I'm doing right now, same with the rest of you does look very nice for a forum. For a game server however, l33tspeech is pretty much needed if you don't want to get shot and you are slow at typing or don't use TeamSpeak/Ventrillo/In-game chat.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score

If you can read this you need to get laid.

tektrnica

Reaction score

If you can read this you need to get laid.

well done :p its a simple one really.

I can imagine why its used in text messages as when they were starting to become popular the combination of cost and the fact you were limited to the amount of characters you could use, did mean that a long text was shortened quite a bit. but on a Forum, no thanks. theres no character limit here so theres no point doing it.