Can money buy true happiness?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Good, so far two opinions. But, I still don't think that that is true happiness shadowmaster, because what eternal good will being at peace with yourself do you?

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
it would give you a sense of perfection with yourself

i mean, if you had no doubts about urself... then you would think you are good enough for you, so thats all that matters

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
But, how would you being good enough for you help you in eternity. I mean, it might keep your conscience at bay here on earth, but what about after you die? Will it help you then?

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Well lets say that to me the best happiness is playing and 'hanging' with friends. So if I use money to buy an Xbox, Halo 3 and Xbox Live, I will be able to play with friends and make new friends.

So in that case money would buy me happiness.

But all in all money can not buy happiness, it can only help me get closer to it.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Zdroyd, playing seems to you to be the best happiness, but is that TRUE happiness?

xPlozion

Reaction score
not a temporary "fix" or "high". it should be something that can make you happy for more than a few hours or days. True happiness imo is when you are at peace w/ yourself, and you don't need inatimate objects (ie. xbox, cars, ""Bling"", w/e), to make you happy, and this happiness last for months, if not years.

I think I can speak for most, if not all that true happiness is being with somebody you care about, having a good time with them, not because of an xbox, but because of their character. I was MUCH happier when i was spending even 10 minutes with someone i deeply cared about than any time playing xbox or even on the computer. sadly, she moved and i haven't talked to her since :frown:.

sure, when i play games, i'm happy for a while, but i'm not really happy, then i'll get bored, realized i wasted more of my time doing petty things, then get sad.

there's some sort of void inside when i play games, where i would rather interact in person w/ someone instead of over the internet.

meh, i know my message is sloppily put together, but thats because i was jumping around and adding things to it, and i'm too lazy to edit it.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That's what I've been asking you all to do: DEFINE true happiness.

PatrickH

Reaction score
No.

Money can buy temporary happiness, something people would think would last forever, yet being temporary, it doesn't.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Zdroyd, playing seems to you to be the best happiness, but is that TRUE happiness?

For me yes.

And that is why my whole life is dedicated to bringing people and friends together with video games and entertainment.

The definition of TRUE HAPPINESS depends on the individual.

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
well... true happiness, i think, is being flawless, which is impossible

therefore it being truly happy is impossible

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Zdroyd, I disagree with you on your last statement. Truth can't be different things for different people. Truth is not subjective, it is objective. Truth is truth. Truth does not change, other wise, if truth were constantly changing, how could we ever know what truth is?

M

Macaws

No it cant. Unless you buy something really cool that will keep you entertained for a few hours. But lets put it this way.
I wish happieness could get money.

cased

Reaction score
Depends on what you consider happiness, but I think the answer is generally, "yes". Happiness is a service however and you have keep paying for it. It's not a one time purchase.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
True happiness cannot be bought with monet. Why? Because money is a material, physical thing. True happiness is not.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Shadowmaster, you said that humans were "meant" to be happy.

Who meant them to be happy.

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
uhh no one... were are just who we are... our brains... the way we function

our consciousness, our.... inner beliefs

Last edited: