Votes: 9 18.4%
  • i dont care

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkmere

Reaction score
You forgot the Android OS ... the other day at Bestbuy we were playing on Laptops running the OS. Looks pretty Promising too esp the new Android OS coming out Christmas of this year that is supposed to end Fragmentation. The One OS can be installed on Computers, Tablets, Phones and TVs. And all the software you buy can be installed on all of the devices as well.

Gindolaras

Reaction score
Best? Windows i quess, i want try what is about mac it seems very cool designs and looks someway glamur!

cCorE

Reaction score
Android is a linux system. Plus you can not ask if Linux is best as there are trillions of distributions out there which can be completely different.

Darkmere

Reaction score
Actually Android is a Unix Platform ... they are certified UNIX

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 AM ----------

Which I completely forgot as well ... you dont have UNIX up there

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
I have to say it totally depends on what you are doing. As does my thread whats the best programming language. It isn't often when you have competing products that one is outright better than the other. Mac is better for design work, windows is better for people who aren't power users and *nix is best for servers in my opinion which may for some people make no sense.

pietje63

Reaction score
It depends where you want to use the os for and how to define best.

I think Mac is a great desktop os for day2day use. On the other hand, making Mac is relatively easy, given the limited hardware support. Windows supports more hardware, but has a bit less user experience. Linux has even more hardware support. The user experience for Linux differs from distribution to dustriobution, and the last time I installed one is 2 years ago, so cannot say for sure how it is now.

I think Microsoft has done a great job in developing and marketing Windows. Moreover I used it daily. Therefore that's my choice.

Mobile Os's are a story by itself.

zzzj_2812

Reaction score
There are lots of other options missing as well..
AmigaOS
OS/2
Solaris
etc...

Plus if we are going with mobile you should include iOS.

There really should be an "Other" option up there :p

afsteele27

Reaction score
Call me old fashioned (sort of), but I prefer Windows. I grew up with Windows and I use, trust and love Windows... To me, Mac comes off a bit snobby. Not the users, but the product.

3xtgaming80

Reaction score
Windows 7 and Mac OS are two different things . They both have their advantages and disadvantages .

cszonalt58

Reaction score
Mac is to simple... I don't like it.
I love Windows, and I like Linux little bit. :)

Darkmere

Reaction score
"Android consists of a kernel based on the Linux kernel ..." - Wikipedia's word is law.

Apple iOS is certified Unix.

Both OSes are using Berkeley's UNIX Platform. From the convention Google stated they are under contract with Berkley to use and modify their system, I do not know the entire details but the dead give-away is the UNIX stamps used in the metadata of files saved to the system. It is a common misconception that they use LINUX because on the Kernel is listed as BSD but I can assure you it is UNIX. I could link half a dozen link that support both, but from what I can gather it is what techs are calling a religious war because LINUX wants points for it being LINUX and UNIX wants points for it being UNIX. But to be fair Google says their Platform is neither UNIX nor LINUX, they stated they modified the platform to be a separate OS. And for reference Wiki is not a valid source.

Last edited:

ace_case

Reaction score
Just saying Windows or Linux is not enough. Some people hate Windows. But maybe they are talking about Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows ME, Windows 98, etc. Or they could say they hate Linux but mean Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Mandriva, Slackware, Gentoo, CentOS, or any linux distribution.

I prefer Windows XP, but that is because I am most accustomed to it. If I were to switch to Ubuntu for a while I would probably like it more, but I can download the drivers for my wireless adapter to use it on Ubuntu so I uninstalled it.

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
LCARS.

The Berkeley offshoot of AT&T Unix is BSD, not UNIX. UNIX was AT&T's trademark (now owned by The Open Group). BSD in turn spawned the likes of FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD and (in part) OS X.

According to "What is Android?", it uses a Linux kernel and a BSD-derived libc. As for the filesystem, it depends on the device, though Linux's ext3 and (with the advent of Android 2.3) ext4, and YAFFS (in older versions) are common. Though it is not itself a part of Linux, the YAFFS site states "It is widely used with Linux". Note it doesn't make specific mention of any other OS. In short, Android derives in part from both Linux and BSD (the core from Linux, the system C library from BSD), along with many other standalone libraries (such as SQLite, FreeType, WebKit and OpenCORE).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.