4 GB RAM Necessary / Is this RAM compatible?

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
First question: Is 4 GB of RAM really necessary? I've got a 256 MB nVidia 8600GT that can run COD4 and Crysis just fine, and roughly 1.5 GB / 2 GB of my RAM is used. Will having 2 more gigs of RAM help anything?

Second question: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...esktop+memory-_-crucial+technology-_-20148076

That is the RAM that I am looking at; Dell says my computer currently has: DDR II SDRAM, DIMM 240-pin, 800 MHz, Non-ECC. However, I ran a diagnostic programs and the RAM that is installed in my computer (according to it) is DDR2-666 (333 MHz), not 800 MHz like Dell says.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Not exactly sure what to say about the RAM coming up as different for each source, but I'd say do what Dell says. I don't believe there is much harm to the system if what Dell says is wrong, other than it just not seeing the RAM. As for the 4GB, it's not going to make much of a difference. I run 3GB, but note that 32-bit operating systems can really only see 3.5GB of RAM. Anything else won't be seen, and thus won't be utilized. Really, if you are looking for more RAM, go with another GB if you have 2GB already.

woiwky

Reaction score
What's your mobo? If you're sure it'll support more than 2gb, then go for it. Although I'd normally agree with Smith and say just get another GB and you'll be fine, that $40 rebate makes this such a good deal. It'll probably actually cost you more to go for 1GB.

akv003

Reaction score
I am not sure what OS system you have and what kind of application you are running which needs such high memory. A 32 bit Operating system not able to utilise 4 GB RAM completly. If you are upgrading to 4GB or more, I would suggest go for 64 Bit OS where you can enhance RAM even more than 16 GB.
If you are not ready for 64 bit OS then there are many other configuration setting which you can use for performance optimization of your system.

Hazirak

Reaction score
Dell says my computer currently has: DDR II SDRAM, DIMM 240-pin, 800 MHz, Non-ECC. However, I ran a diagnostic programs and the RAM that is installed in my computer (according to it) is DDR2-666 (333 MHz), not 800 MHz like Dell says.
Unless you're on a tight budget, just get the 800MHz. If you do have 333MHz sticks in already, your motherboard should just underclock the 800 sticks to match.

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
I have 4GB, and I use most of it when I export video/ high res images from Photoshop. Its useful if your using the Adobe programs, especially many at a time. But as alreaddy stated, you need 64-bit to fully use 4GB.

The Dell probably has 800Mhz RAM, but its not running at 800MHz. My system has 800Mhz RAM, that came running at 667MHz, I had to change some settings to make it 800MHz. But get the 800 sticks, they will work fine.

Alex

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have 4 GB ram but I can only use 3.2 GB because my graphic card has 512 MB and then there are the proccessor and things that has memory too.

The 800MHz is faster than 333 MHz I belive. I think the 800MHz will work on every computer since it is only measuring the speed of the comp (atleast what the guys I bought my computer from tells)

djchang

Reaction score
think about long term. 4 gigs of memory can run the next 5 versions of next gen windows and play the next gen games

marshian

Reaction score
think about long term. 4 gigs of memory can run the next 5 versions of next gen windows and play the next gen games

not on a 32-bit OS, as it can't fully use that 4 gig... basicly putting 4 gig in a 32-bit OS is wasting .5 gig ram

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
Hey Erik.. Figured i'd chime in, Just did almost the same thing.. I had a gig in my dell (Precision 380), ddr2.. Dell said that my computer was Non-EEC.. So, I went out, got a 2 gig chip, put it in and notta.. I took out one of the other chips (it was 2x512) and it came on, but said I couldn't match types.. i'd check this first, by going into the bios and seeing what it's reporting.. You can mix speeds as far as I know and read, although it'll force it all to run at the slowest speed. I am debating the same thing, I am glad you posted it.. I am holding back from getting another 2 gigs, And, before anyone posts.. I am running a 64bit system already. ;)

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Note: Windows XP can only support up to 3GB of RAM.

It can do 3.5GB of RAM, but the rest of the system hardware will use the .5. Windows XP Professional 64-bit will support greater amounts of RAM. I've heard of 16GB of RAM being put on an XP machine before.

shadoh

Reaction score
Ya if i recall a 32bit system wont read more then 3gb of ram. Regardless if the mobo can handle it or not.