403 Forbidden error

Status
Not open for further replies.

englis29

Reaction score
Hello,

So I'm new to X10 host, just started using it yesterday because with 000webhost my site was always down.

Anyway I linked SimpleMachinesForum with my domain installed it and was installing themes. However I tried modifying the css in the theme under "index.css" however when I put save I get this error message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

What is going on? I've done some research and have tried deleting mod_security in my cpanel but it doesn't show up under the "Security" tab. I've tried changing the permissions of the directories and files but it doesn't seem to work.
This problem didn't occur when I was using 000webhost.
Please help!

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
have tried deleting mod_security
while x10hosting discourage it - Premium account users have the ability to completely disable [ mod_security ] on their account via cPanel

For free-hosting accounts - x10hosting has a customized web server setup that does not allow for the same cPanel functionality to disable all or part of [ mod_security ] - and users can not use the [ .htaccess ] file to disable all or part of it - x10hosting decided it would not be a good idea to allow free-hosting users to disable any of it - as it is used to not only protect against inbound malicious attacks but to prevent outbound abuse also - Unfortunately free-hosting still gets abusive signups - and allowing those abusive users to disable something that helps to prevent their malicious actions would not be in x10hosting's best interest

only Admins can adjust [ mod_security ] for free-hosting accounts - we (users) can not use a [ .htaccess ] file to disable or adjust it
###

I've tried changing the permissions of the directories and files
make sure all file permissions are [ 644 ] and all folder permissions are [ 755 ]
###

you issue could be something in the [ .htaccess ] file

englis29

Reaction score
due a temp rename of [ .htaccess ] to [ .htaccess.bu ]
No luck, I tried moving the .htaccess file out of the cache folder but no luck. The permissions of the .htaccess file are also 644 and the cache folder is 755. Anything else?

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
did you test the [ .htaccess ] file in folder [ public_html ] ?

englis29

Reaction score
that is in the folder [ cache ] not inside of folder [ public_html ]

I don't see another .htaccess file, only one I see is in cache

079cc08d7d2a44b5821d6ace5897dffe.png

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
I don't see another .htaccess file, only one I see is in cache
looks like you issue is with [ mod_security ]

only Admins can adjust [ mod_security ] for free-hosting accounts

englis29

Reaction score
looks like you issue is with [ mod_security ]

only Admins can adjust [ mod_security ] for free-hosting accounts

So is there any hope for me?
Would I have to contact the host somehow and tell them to disable it?
If so how?

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
So is there any hope for me?
With mod_security in place, it's difficult to tell what's going on - You can try enabling error logging (temporarily) via the PHP settings in cPanel to give you a better clue, since just about anything that throws an error is going to return a 403 or a 404
###

Would I have to contact the host somehow and tell them to disable it?
this forum is your contact point - to the host (x10hosting) - for support
###

Status
Not open for further replies.