500 Internal Server Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shovon

Reaction score
Hi! My site www.forumbangla.com suddently showing the following error message... I'm using vBulletin and changed nothing... Pls help!!! :rant2:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, web****er@forumbangla.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Last edited:

Russ

<b>Retired *****</b>
Reaction score
Here's 3 things, try them.. #1 should tell you what it is, and if you don't know how to solve it.. Let us know.

1) Always do this first - log into cPanel, find the Logs section and click on Error logs, see what it has in there.. Most 500 errors will make an entry into that log telling you what caused it..

2) Your file permissions should be set atleast to read/write 755/744.. You need to login to your cPanel. http://yourname.x10hosting.com:2082 and go into the File Manager, select the files in which you'll be accessing on the website and click on the Permissions button at the top of the page. The permissions need to be set to atleast read execute, and write if the page is going to be making any dynamic changes to the site. Usually read/execute is enough to get it working.

3) If the two above don't work, as a last resort do this.. Delete the .htaccess file, and try it then.
To view the .htaccess file, you need to go into cPanel, click on File Manager, and when it opens up asking you where you want to go, it's going to have an option to View Hidden Files (dotfiles). Click that first. Now you'll be able to view your htaccess file.

Shovon

Reaction score
Well, Thanks a lot... now it's working :)

Steps I've taken are as follows:

1. I found this message in cPanel error log:
SoftException in Application.cpp:231: File "/home/******/public_html/forums/index.php" is writeable by group

2. I logged in my account using FTP and then CHMOD "forums" folder to 755. Previously it was 775 and it was working... anyway, now everything running fine again. Problem was not for .htaccess file. It's still there in that folder. Thanks again.

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Seems your problem was solved. If you want to get more help, feel free to re-open this.

Status
Not open for further replies.