a site without frames and a site with frame

n4tec

Reaction score
1. what are the advantages of a site without frames and a site with frame or the vice versa?

2. what are the disadvantages of a site frames ?

Reason for asking qn: my site is designed with frames....

have a good day my friend....

nforchange

Richard

Reaction score
Some advantages of having no frames is that your design can flow through out the site more freely also its easier to bookmark pages

Some advantages of having frames can be that your header is always visable as well as a nav-bar if you wished to do so.

The disadvantages far our weigh the advantages of frames if not done properly. As with many things frames can make or break your website so the choice is up to you.

One other thing it's a general rule of thumb for webdesigners not to use frames.

Hope this clears things up :) ,
Richard

nicholas

Reaction score
i suggest you use frames only when u want to "incorporate" a page from other websites to your website. :)

audionation

Reaction score
PHP

Why dont use use the PHP include function? I use it and define the webpage location by the URL eg. you.x10hosting.com/index.php?path=index2.html
so the index.php will be the page with the header menus and footer and index2.html will be the content. The are lots of guides on the internet.

Thanks,
Steven Ros

n4tec

Reaction score
Seeker_952 said:
Some advantages of having no frames is that your design can flow through out the site more freely also its easier to bookmark pages

Some advantages of having frames can be that your header is always visable as well as a nav-bar if you wished to do so.

The disadvantages far our weigh the advantages of frames if not done properly. As with many things frames can make or break your website so the choice is up to you.

One other thing it's a general rule of thumb for webdesigners not to use frames.

Hope this clears things up :) ,
Richard

Thank you for you comments about frame.... The reason i designed my site with frame because i had to put on the web.... Im currently designing a non frame site....

so with these ideas and comments i will be able to design freely and also to ease bookmarks and i hope other will too....

what would i do without such good ideas.... once again i thank you Richard....

have a good day my friend....

nforchange

n4tec

Reaction score
thanks

nicholas said:
i suggest you use frames only when u want to "incorporate" a page from other websites to your website. :)

I also thank you too for the info above....

n4tec

Reaction score
audionation said:
Why dont use use the PHP include function? I use it and define the webpage location by the URL eg. you.x10hosting.com/index.php?path=index2.html
so the index.php will be the page with the header menus and footer and index2.html will be the content. The are lots of guides on the internet.

Thanks,
Steven Ros

i also thank you too for your comment.... you have a nice website....

have a good day my friend...

nforchange

saffron02

Banned
Reaction score
Frames and also Iframes are not browser friendly although i use them..lol but if i make a site for a company deff would not put them in there and also my html code would be more friendlier.lol

O

Opserty

Also frames make the site less search engine friendly, overall just stay as far away from them as possible IMO

n4tec

Reaction score
why bring an old topic that endingh long ago? Such threads need to be locked by the admin and mods...

NewFuture

Reaction score
personally i think its good to bring old topics back, it has probably been a year or two since it was last added too (iam not sure on figures), and with all new members it brings new opinions on the topic, alot of the members are new, posting on a old topic would be pointless, first you have to spend a while searching for a specific topic, and it most likely been deleted or closed, (knowing me the old topic is link a month old lol)

-and my site uses frames, i think it is much easier to edit and manage your site with them,

digitalfarm

Reaction score
Ithink whether you use frames or not depends on what theme u have for your website.
If it has a large navigation menu or many pages that a user might want to visit at any time.then frames are good.But I personally will not use frames because i find them not to make the website look good.
But i guess I don't have the experiecnce to use them good.I have seen sites with them and they really look good.
You have to really be able to blend it in to the overal website design

Skyline4life

Reaction score
This topic actualy helped me..I gotta code my new template and ima try the php includes one.

n4tec

Reaction score
If it helped you that is great... Certainly it help me dump my frames site into the gabbish bin...

TryForce

Reaction score
i love the frame system!
its kinda usefull... you wont have a long site. also its comforter then any other thing. but Firefox see all this stuff others then Inetexplorer so you may will se probs in both.

n4tec

Reaction score
TryForce said:
i love the frame system!
its kinda usefull... you wont have a long site. also its comforter then any other thing. but Firefox see all this stuff others then Inetexplorer so you may will se probs in both.

there is a member @ Flashkit whose bandwidth is being used by some site he knows... So these guy uses an Iframe to pull the guys game swf and scorelist too... I tried to help him.. I hope he blocked that site...

He noticed that why is my bandwidth going mysteriesly and then he found the crook... He contacted the host not sure what happened but still...

ahaanettc

Reaction score
Friendz seems like you have left the important point...
Using frames will actually make the site to load faster (believe me i use a GPRS mobile connection)
Easier to edit ( page can be divided into sections )
But the disadvantage is that the will not be search engine friendly ( try SEO or search engine optimization)
Search Engine Spiders wont be able to index them correctly

curt15

Reaction score
I prefer to use basic PHP. Menu systems in php can been edited by editing one file, thats all of the links, and another for the structure. I used frames, and found it was OK to begin with, but overall I wouldn't go back to using them.