about Torrents

akami50

Reaction score
I've been trying to download some torrent files and I've noticed that the program keeps on sending out data, i'm wondering if there is a program out their which downloads torrents but dosent send out much data as it really slows the downloading part down and makes it nearly impossible to download things.

dest581

Reaction score
The point of bittorrent is that everyone sends and receives data. If you don't send, you aren't helping anyone. It's like going to a restaurant and then not paying.

Cubeform

Reaction score
You can lower your upload max level, but really, though, just let the program upload! As dest said, that's the whole point of BitTorrent.

t2t2t

Reaction score
The point of bittorrent is that everyone sends and receives data. If you don't send, you aren't helping anyone. It's like going to a restaurant and then not paying.

THAT gotta be worst example ever!

Your download speed = 1st node upload speed / number of down loaders on 1st node + 1nd node upload speed / number of down loaders on 2nd node + [ETC] < Your max download speed

^^ so if no-one uploads, no-one can download!

Trixter

Reaction score
Your download speed = 1st node upload speed / number of down loaders on 1st node + 1nd node upload speed / number of down loaders on 2nd node + [ETC] < Your max download speed

what there saying is you download speed is linked to you upload speed. the faster your upload speed the faster your download speed. its also controled by the number of seeders hosting the file. if theres only one host on but 12 leechers (people downloading the file) then the speed of the download will be slow. if however there are 4-8 seeders on and 12-14 leechers the speed will be much faster. also if some of the leechers have part of the file you dont have your torrent controler will recognise this and start downloading it form them while its downloading the main file from the seeder.

Hope i made scense :D

heres a link to a bittorrent explanation:
http://dessent.net/btfaq/

t2t2t

Reaction score
NOT your upload speed, the upload speed of guys who upload that file (and girls).

I didn't brother to read more, i hate long things.

Micro

Retired staff <i> (11-12-2008)</I>
Reaction score
At the start of the torrent, you will be going slowly, you are less "important". When you get more data, you become more "important" and you increase your download speed.