Account suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

yas

Reaction score
Hello, I have my free hosting account suspended. How can I unsuspend it.
Thank you in advance.
Sergio

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
Hello,

Unfortunately serious violations of our Terms of Service, which you agreed to upon signup, are coined "Zero Tolerance" meaning that we do not give out second chances. Your suspension falls under this category, which means that your account will remain suspended and you cannot regain any form of access to your account, its databases, and its files. Your account will be automatically deleted in 14 days' time, perhaps longer.

yas

Reaction score
I see that was closed because of file hosting. How could I know why this happened? I also have a premium account, and I wasn't hosting files intentionally in the free account, could it be a mistake?
Thank you for any further explanation.
Regards
Sergio

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello,

It looks like it was manually suspended by our Abuse Compliance Officer. I highly doubt he would have made a mistake. Unfortunately, the suspension stands.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll recheck it anyways in case I did, 1 sec.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Suspension stands, there was 1.9gb in unlinked backups on the account. i can overlook having a few, but 1.9gb of them?

yas

Reaction score
Hello, thank you for your messages. But I'm still puzzled by not knowing what was the cause. I can't even access the account as read-only to see the files or databases there, to understand what was interpreted as filehosting, I only used the space for testing lms and cms software.
Is there a log or observation from the Abuse Compliance Officer to better understand the reason? Is there a way I could access temporarily to download a backup of the databases there and not to loose everything?
I understand the policy and you have the right to interpret freely what is and abuse and what is not, but considering I'm also a customer of premium services, I only ask to understand my mistake if there was one, and not to loose any valuable configuration or data in the environment I'd setup there.
Thank you in advance.
Sergio

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
The only part I don't have is details on what script was in the folder in question, however the folder was the "backup" folder, not inside public_html. Looks like a total of 40 tar files and some really small ones (probably the script that's making them), all totalled 1.9gb.

yas

Reaction score
Hello Livewire,
In fact it was an incremental backup script for the site and databases in use. That's why the small files, because are delta backups. Is that considered file hosting? Running a script to backup the data is out of the TOS? I see it states in the point 6 that backup is responsability of the customer and "It is recommended all customers keep their own backups.", so why is in this case considered file hosting? Should be clarified, that free hosting shouldnt store the backup of the site data for long time. But a lot of applications make self-backup and save it in own folders.
You can verify it if you want. My mistake probably have been not to download the data from there periodically and free the space.
Obviously you are in the right to close the account, I wanted only to understand better the issue.
Thank you for your prompt answer.
Regards.
Sergio

calistoy

Free Support Volunteer
Community Support
Reaction score
The point about customers keeping their own backups is keeping them in their own computers or elsewhere, not in the hosting account. If something happens to the hosting account and all files are erased, then all of those backup files kept in the hosting account are gone too. That defeats the purpose of keeping backups.

Keeping those backup files in the hosting account is file hosting, because you were using the account as a storage service.
From two places in the TOS:
* File Hosting Every file on your site must have to do with the website you put up, we are not a file storage service and we strictly prohibit scripts such as torrentflux or rapidleech.
* File Storage: Accounts are not to be used for file storage, your account will be permenantly suspended if found to be breaking this rule. Downloads are only allowed on your x10Hosting account if they have to do directly with your website. e.g. you developed custom software and are selling it or giving it away. Accounts may not be used for mirrors, game file hosting, or any other type of file hosting not specified here.

yas

Reaction score
Hello Livewire,
I understand your point, and agree that you have the right to interpret it strictly in that way. But you would probably agree with me that several backup procedures would create temporary files in the hosting account before that compressed files could be downloaded to another environment. That's what I was pointing out. In this case I recognize my mistake was not to clear the temporary folder ("backup") in several months. So I have to accept your decision.
Kind regards.
Sergio

Status
Not open for further replies.