AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitzysit

Reaction score
it depends what you plan to do
AMD are good for gaming and stuff like that but Intel are good for Multimedia and music and stuff like that it depends what type of computing your doing really.
i have an AMD Sempron 3200+ @1.81 GHz this is great for gaming and a really old Pentium III celeron 800 MHz and it runs not as fast but its better for multimedia.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
AMD for games, Intel for raw power. That's what I find the two different brands good for.

sandogg

Reaction score
I do not agree that AMDs are better for gaming and Intel better for multimedia.
In the early days Intel and AMD were partners and shared architectures and the AMD licensing Intel architectures.(Both companies were startups by former Fairchild employees).
Although AMD were the first to produce the x64 architecture.
Now that both have their own in-house architectures things are different but you can't say certain processors are better at this and others at that because that is not what they are designed for and the rest is just advertising.Also see Moore's law in relation to software.
Both produce great processors although most benchmarks I have seen puts Intel ahead.
There is a reason as to why we are being given dual, quad and more cores rather than single cores with higher speeds and in this case Intel definitely have the advantage.
(I own an E6700 and an X2)

Last edited:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I am sure Intel is better, especially the Intel Extream Quad. Intel is really taking the lead.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Intel is the one leading in the market today. Though the new processors look real fast and extreme, the price tag is too much. AMD meanwhile has been keeping a low profile except for it's latest release Barcelona. It is yet to completely hit the markets. I think we might see more of it this year.

Slothie

Reaction score
Intel for top range processors, amd does well in the budget market though.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Intel by far. Their L2 cache's are enormous in comparison to AMD.. and L2 cache is one of the most important things when it comes to a processor!

worldwise001

Reaction score
Eh, AMD or Intel depends on a lot of things. Usually the two companies switch off in leading the processor market. And despite having a smaller cache size, cheaper AMD processors in the past have rivaled some top Intel processors. However now I think Intel is leading the market, what with its new dual/quadcore processors. It won't be long until AMD catches up though.

For the record, however, I like AMD.

mr kennedy

Reaction score
From running hosting servers (like x10's) to the home PC's, I'm still with Intel!

scummerz

Reaction score
i have AMD athlon 64 3200+ 2.0Ghz nd it runs a lot faster then all intel computers i've used, amd is improving a lot better then intel now, they've released quad core processors and amd bought ati so i gues when comparing u can also compare their graphics

chewett

Reaction score
intel are far better for power and power is what you want

Silverspoon

Reaction score
I prefer Intel as it allows me to have all 3 major OS types on one box (Mac,Windows,Nix). Remember, Quad core is 2 dual core + glue... Intel will need to work on that so the 4 processors can work together as well as a dual core without the bottleneck and doubling the power cost.

naresh

Reaction score
well earlier Intel has no match but nowadays AMD is catching up but still far behind Intel,
what I think of the reason to go for intel is that most application are there for intel based software so if one goes for AMD one can have compatibility problem and for those who are not much into software it will have great problem for them so one would prefer to go for Intel,
so its service which makes a great different,
also AMD has image that its processors have more heating problem so its not easy to change mindset of people,
so Intel is my choice also :)

Admonisher

Reaction score
I find that benchmarks do not live up to actual gaming, and in that department an AMD processor tends to preform equal to the next generation up from the equivilant Intell processor. I also find that alot of benchmarking software cators to intell design.

Intell tends to win on anything that uses small ammounts of data at a fast pace. ( racing games, alot of graphic editing software, multimedia, cracking software, etc. )

AMD tends to beat out intell on anything that uses large chunks of data at any pace. ( MMORPGs and most RPGS, dealing with raw video and audio files, working out complex mathmatic formulas, etc. )

All of that said- most likely the average user will not notice a difference between comparable processors regardless because they do not push them to thier breaking points which is where the real differences start to show up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.