Audio-Video COnferencing

4allofus

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a relative newbie web developer and I just recently upgraded to the x10 Static Package and purchased a static IP to host a website www.4ALLofUS.com.

Corey has been very helpful and supportive and the transition went smoothly I am pleased to say.

You may or may not be aware that Skype.com suspended the skypecast service on 1st September 2008. Members and admins alike at 4ALLofUS met, on the most part after frequenting skypecasts and now the group/s are fragmented.

I am seeking a solution to this problem. 4ALLofUS is not for profit and we do not have any revenue streams, no kitty to purchase applications but we are wanting to provide an audio-video conference type environment where people can come and go at will.

Viedo is not a high priority but we do want to have an audio room intergrated into our website.

Q. Does x10hosting support chat-servers?
Q. Do we need a chat-server or is there another way?
Q. Do you have or know of a free script / bundle / package that can be installed on our website? and if so are you willing to help us to setup?

If you review our website you will see quite quickly that we are not striving for personal gain or profit, quite the opposite and sadly the suspension of skypecasts has hindered our ability to communicate effectively, strategise and keep the ball rolling slowly but surely forward.

I have looked at ventrillo and teamspeak which do the job but I have a few questions and problems.

The main problem I have is the need to install software and configure as a client, web-based would be preferable, desired, better and easier.

Q. can ventrillo or teamspeak be installed on the x10hosting servers?

Q. is there a better alternative that is web-based.

I know I have asked a lot of questions and I imagine any solution to be quite complex so if you do choose to assist I know it will be a great effort on your part, I can assure you it will be greatly appreciated and put to very good use.

4ALLofUS needs all the help we can get, web-development and programming being just the tip of our self imposed iceburg.

Thanks for taking the time out to read my request for help;

Respectfully,
MattG - britishnproud
www.4ALLofUS.com TEAM MEMBER
Edit:
Ray looks quite promising but when I tried to install it I run into difficulties.

I need to be able to set permissions for a directory as 666 as well as a file inside the directory. When I try to do this I get an error message.

http://www.boonex.com/trac/ray/wiki/RayTech
Ray Technical Requirements

Check to ensure that you and your web host has the minimum requirements to install and run Ray:

* Dedicated or VPS server (means you must have ROOT access to your hosting server)

* OS of UNIX or Windows family

* php 4.0+, MySQL 4.00+, Apache 1.3

* JRE 1.6 (Java Runtime Environment) and SSH superuser access (you should clarify with your hosting provider whether it is installed)

* 1935, 1936 and 5080 ports on your server should be open

* your server should allow 15 KB/sec for streaming capabilities for each user

Also there is an info page

http://www.boonex.com/trac/ray/wiki/RayThingsToKnow
Things To Know Before Installation.

* Access to your shell account using SSH client. Your account should have enough rights to install new applications and run them. Usually only superuser (root) has such rights. That's why many shared hosting companies cannot provide this which makes RMS installation on such servers impossible.

* Make sure JRE (Java Runtime Environment) is installed on your server. If not, you should advise with your hosting provider support service or you can install it by yourself. You can download the distribution kit for JRE from the Sun company official site.

* Make sure you are able to run the following commands under your shell account:

chmod
chown
vi
nano
ps

* Make sure you have set appropriate PHP settings in php.ini file for uploading files concerned with Ray Music Player. These settings are:

post_max_size
upload_max_filesize

Optionally you should have set the values from 10Mb to 20Mb or more.

If you are sure about the above then the next step is RMS Installation.

I do not even know what SSH is and am not sure if I am allowed or able to install a server on a server, I did say I was a newbie and now I am proving it.

If I can get a litle help, pointed in the right direction I may well be able to figure out the rest, but as is I do not even know if these things are compatible with the package I have.

Please advise.
Matthew.

Last edited: