AV and file scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireput

Reaction score
I like to share this with x10 community. If you discover a suspicious file on your machine, or suspect that a program you downloaded from the Internet might be malicious, you can check the files at Kaspersky free online virus scan. All you need to do is to upload the file from your computer to their dedicated server, where it will be scanned using Kaspersky Anti-Virus. Multiple independent tests and publications acknowledge the solution to have exceptional detection rates. Updates every three hours ensure that even the very newest viruses can be detected. There are limitations for this free file scanner; only one file of up to 1 MB can be checked at any one time. You can also choose to upload an archive file (in zip, arj or similar format) not larger than 1MB containing several suspicious files in it. Beside Kaspersky, you can also submit suspicious files to ClamAV online specimen scanner, Dr.Web® anti-virus, VirusTotal Free Online Virus and Malware Scan, Jotti’s Online Malware Scan or avast! Online Scanner; do note that some of these scanners has an upload-limit of 500 kbytes to prevent abuse. Btw, you can choose to use Kaspersky free virus scan, Trend Micro HouseCall, BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan or Panda Active Scan if you intend to scan your entire computer for viruses, of course this will take more time. I take the opportunity here to do a little survey which AV you ppl are using, do drop a line or two.

nanat

Reaction score
I'm using NOD32. Does not use too much of my PC's resources and pretty fast.

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
Me too, I use NOD32 too, never given me a problem. Let me suggest one more thing, there is a site called www.spywareinfo.com. They will help you find all kinds of spywares, adwares and hidden programs running on your computer. All you have to do is download a program called HijackThis. It is a small standalone application, there are many versions to it. Even TrendMicro has its own version. It generates a log of all applications running on your computer and other things as well. And all you have to do is post this log on their forums. And they will tell you the future course of action. They also have a page on the necessary protection a computer requires and recommend several antivirus both online and free and also shareware. I had many problems with Internet Explorer with vulgar and indecent popups and ads coming up. Then someone recommended spywareinfo and I posted my hijackthis log and they helped me out and from then on I've never had such problems again and I switched over to Firefox. Have a look at it. Though it may look simple, the site works wonders....:)

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
AVG for me; I honestly don't have any virus or spyware problems, so I don't need the software to protect me. Even if I did suffer a spyware attack that was too messy to clean up, I'd just reformat as there isn't anything that is important on my computer that I haven't already backed up onto an external

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Symantec, got a year free and it was installed when I got my top with 60 free days (that came with not a single driver disk or OS disk).

It uses alot of my resources but does the job great. Everything all in one. Firewall is hard to use and really bugs the hell outa me(slow loading time). Resident sheild picks up alot, browser plugin picks up any htreats and classifys them. Any "attacks" on my computer pop up. Happy with it for now (would be a real hassel to get rid of it).

Status
Not open for further replies.