Backup Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

If you didn't know we use r1soft backup software to keep track of all backups for our servers. We've been having intermittent issues with restoring accounts from it for the past week... yesterday it went offline all together. I have just got off the phone with their support and found out the database the software uses was corrupted. They are still trying to figure out why... either way it doesn't matter. As of right now we're unable to access any of our free hosting backups and may not be able to recover them. They are working on a solution right now and will update me as soon as they have an answer.

I am currently working on setting up different departments in the help desk to help route issues to the correct place... we currently have over 400 open tickets in the normal issues department with a majority of them being restore issues. This has stopped us from getting to any other tickets.

I will once again be closing all open tickets. I apologize for doing this but there is no way we'll be able to effectively get through the tickets that are open in a timely manner. Especially where we're unable to help on any of the restore ones currently. I will be setting up a department that your ticket will be moved to if it's a restore issue, you will also be able to select from different departments when submitting your ticket, so please pick the correct department.

Issues in the restore department will hopefully be dealt with if we can access our backups. We do have SOME backups that were not on the backup server and will resort to them if we have to. They are no where near complete though.

We have tried our best to maintain backups for our free hosting customers by purchasing commercial software and having a dedicated backup server. We will try our best to recover any and all files... the actual files are there we're just unable to access them. I will keep this first post updated with information as it comes in.

Don't forget to please open a new ticket if you need help, please select the correct department.

This post will be left open for comments.
=============================================
Update 7/2/09
=============================================
We have heard back from the backup company... we are UNABLE to retrieve any of the backups due to the database corruption. According to them this has never happened before and they are looking into fixing it. It was most likely caused by the massive restore operation we tried to perform on so many files at once. We have worked out a way with them to backup the backup database in case this were to ever happen again. They've also granted us free updates for an extra year.

The backup server has to be setup again along with scheduling, etc... the backups in your cPanel should start working again towards the end of this week or beginning of next.

We are currently working on a way to mass purge the accounts that were left behind so you can sign back up with the same data. Thanks to the hard work of Bryon and David this should be done in the next day or two.

Last edited:

changc

Reaction score
Oh dear. :( I hope this all works out for you guys. Hopefully you can get some sort of compensation from the backup people too.

XColl

Reaction score
Yeah I figured this would happen sadly so I created a new blog for my site. Is there anyway if you are to retrieve them that you don't replace those files with our current?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
It never rains, but it pours, huh?

Everything else seems to be going fantastically well on X10 besides this :biggrin:

Thanks for the updates, it really helps a lot!

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is these companies including cPanel don't test their software in a free hosting environment with the amount of accounts we have. We then end up field testing for them and run into issues like this.

According to r1soft the backup server used up all available memory (8GB) which ended up corrupting the database it used. I still have not heard back from them with any more info and I think they are gone for the day. If we do get some type of compensation from them which I doubt I'll put it towards a contest.

If you are missing your account you can submit a ticket in the file restore department and patiently wait to see if we can restore the files, otherwise you can submit a ticket asking for your entries to be removed so you can sign-up again with the same info.

mythandoryx

Reaction score
Hi,

First of all, I apologize in advance if I am directing this question in the wrong thread, but my website on Chopin server is down for the past 6 days!! I have submitted a support ticket regarding this issue but unfortunately I haven't received any reply!! As far as I understood, Some recompilation of Apache Server was taking place since June 21. If someone would kindly tell me whether this update process is completed or not? And if not, then how long will it take?

I'm able to access my account and modify my files using FTP. But No HTTP until this moment (403 access denied + 404 Not found).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Rainism

Reaction score
I sincerely apologize, but I guess we should close the tickets of asking for backups? If so, I'll close the ticket I opened recently.

jsto17

Reaction score
I had Wordpress uploaded here, has all my wordpress been corrupted aswell, or can I move my wordpress to another account??

Can someone tell me please?

Thanks

mserver

Reaction score
Hello,
I wanna ask something. Is there someway to recover starka for few days? Then users could do backups of their sites or atleast any way to do only msql database backup?
Thanks for the answer.

Haavdwee

Reaction score
Lucky me, I backuped my Wordpress posts just before crash. Im going to host DB at other service till X10 is back online :D

xnoddyx

Reaction score
The problem is these companies including cPanel don't test their software in a free hosting environment with the amount of accounts we have. We then end up field testing for them and run into issues like this.

According to r1soft the backup server used up all available memory (8GB) which ended up corrupting the database it used. I still have not heard back from them with any more info and I think they are gone for the day. If we do get some type of compensation from them which I doubt I'll put it towards a contest.

If you are missing your account you can submit a ticket in the file restore department and patiently wait to see if we can restore the files, otherwise you can submit a ticket asking for your entries to be removed so you can sign-up again with the same info.

hi Corey that dont sound to good at all :confused: do you think this is why my site is still down?
According to r1soft the backup server used up all available memory (8GB)
shoudent thay have a mem check and buffer in there backup software so as available memory dont run out?? maybe you shud say to them so this dont happen agen i just went over to there site
Affordable high performance backup, restore, and disaster recovery software for Linux Servers.
R1Soft CDP Linux kernel driver can reduce full backups of large servers to just minutes.

CDP Server 2.0 Centrally manage 100 servers.
hahahaha Corey i think you need to ask for a refund and compensation as i dont think its fit for its purpose i dont no bowt there but in the uk thing must be fit for the purpose it is sold for

stunna

Reaction score
My account which was on cossacks last time I checked has been down since the beginning of June and I cant get any support.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We should find out tomorrow about the backups, r1soft doesn't work on the weekends so we are still awaiting a response.

pika23

Reaction score
Oh, I hope this is fixed soon. It sounds like a lot of stress for you and other admins.
My site has also been down for over a week, so it would be nice for me too.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on a response to my open ticket with them... at this point I wouldn't hold out hope we'll be able to access these backups. I'm not sure if we'll get a refund for the software, partial refund, or what's going to happen. I haven't even got a confirmation that the problem we had is going to be fixed. Once I know something I'll update here.

MarKooL

Reaction score
Well.. And what if i don't want my backup, but I want to get my account working?

I'm asking because I can't access to my account for 3 weeks now, and I really need to do it. I tried to signup again many times, and I always got an error, maybe because my data entries aren't removed already.

I already opened a ticket asking to get a whole new account with my same username, but the ticket hasn't been answered yet for my request.

As I said before, I really don't want my backups. How can I recreate my account again in a fast way?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Well.. And what if i don't want my backup, but I want to get my account working?

I'm asking because I can't access to my account for 3 weeks now, and I really need to do it. I tried to signup again many times, and I always got an error, maybe because my data entries aren't removed already.

I already opened a ticket asking to get a whole new account with my same username, but the ticket hasn't been answered yet for my request.

As I said before, I really don't want my backups. How can I recreate my account again in a fast way?

Thanks for your help in advance.

I found your ticket, unfortunately I do not have access to solve your problem. The problem in your case is that the domain you want is already in the system, a left over from your previous account. I moved the ticket to sign-up issues, hopefully it'll get faster attention by an admin/server tech there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.