Best war movie of all times

fireput

Reaction score
What do you think is the best war movie of all time? From Ancient age to Medieval age, from Gunpowder age to World War I, from World War II to Modern war...or Navy, Air and Land battles... the list goes on but I prefer movie that have some historical values.... Any suggestions for other war movie fans?

I personally prefer The Patriot(2000) , Saving Private Ryan(1998), and I also like the battles scene in Lord of the Ring...(if it can be count as war movie...)

Highly recommended War movie DVD
Braveheart (1995)
We were Soldier(2002)
Saving Private Ryan(1998) A MUST-HAVE movie for war movie fans!!
Kingdom of Heaven(2005)
The patriot(2000)
Enemy at the Gate(2001)
TaeGuKi(2004)-A korean war movie...yet very solid...
Black Hawk down(2001)-except from the storyline...this is a fine war movie...
Rambo Trilogy
Pearl Harbour (2001)
The Last Samurai(2005)
300(2007)-just watched

Highly recommended War TV-series DVD

Band of Brother(2001)- A Steven Spielberg's masterpieces!

DVD I haven't watch...but looking forward to watch
Tear of the Suns
Cold Mountain
Platoon
Thin red line
Flyboy

Not-so recommended War movie DVD

Apocalypse now(1979)-Some people say this movie is classic...but I really don't know this movie is talking about? especially right at the end of the movie. Hope someone can tell me what is good about Apocalypse now?

Troy(2004)- the fighting scene is not bad, but this movie ends too abruptly and looks a little weird.....everyone dies? The dialogue sounds too a little too poetic, it is the kind you only want to watch once.. .

Master and Commander:Far side of the world(2002)- A movie with spectacular effect, but the slow pacing put people to sleep...Pirate of the Caribbean is better...make me a bit regret buying it...

The Great Raid(2005)-short and simple, not much action

Alexander(2005)-Too long...and too much talk... and I think I don't need to explain it...

Flags of our father (2006)- a little like Saving Private Ryan...it is a bit boring...and too boring for me...

Hart's war(2002)- The cover attracts me ...and watch the trailer which is quite good...so I bought it, however after I watch it...I realised that this is not a action-pack type of movie...more like law and order...

Windtalker(2002)- A imitation of Saving Private Ryan...watch it if you very free....

Honorable Non-War movie Battle scenes

Pirate of the Caribbean:The Curse of the Black Pearl(2003)-I like the naval battle scene when Jack Sparrow turn and fight captain Babossa

Pirate of the Caribbean:At World End(2007)-Again the I have never see a such a great naval battle before...although starting of this movie is quite messy...

Starwars Episode 1:The Phantom of the Menace(1999)-The robot GC is very nicely done...no violence..good and funny....

Starwars Episode 2:The Attack of the Clone(2002)-The Mighty Clone army and advanced weapon steal the show....make me wonder why Darth Vader later switch to use stormtroopers?

Independent days(1996)- The ending air fight scene is one of the best air battle I ever saw...very good....

Chronicle of Narnia:The Witch, the Lion and the Wardrode(2005)-Look out for the final fight scene...not as magnificent as LOTR, but you can see many mythical creatures fighting...quite interesting...

The Gladiator(2000)-The opening scene, although this is a not a war movie...the first 15 minutes is awesome....Highly recommended for the people who like Roman war style of fighting...and this the best Roman style battle scene I ever see....

legendphil

Reaction score
hao!

The best war movie I've ever seen so far is The 300. It's a part of Human Civilization's history with a lil bit of exaggeration, but I didn't get bored or found it cheesy. 300 brave men against how many? how many times have you seen that?? Oh! LOTR 2..., against some hundred thousand bots, Matrix.. okay there's a lot, but the movie is amazing.

Band of Brothers, I haven't finished the entire series. I mean I have watched an episode or two or more.. but it was nice.

Alexander is not so bad, I find it somewhat like Troy (although Achilles fell in love with a woman, and so did Paris... Hector.. Agamemnon... "love your woman?"), the talk was rather poetic, and stories regarding the fall of great men always interest me; Kingdom of Heaven same-same.

There are probably more good war movies that is not included in your time span 1995-present (and the one 1979)

Some two movies that has no connection with the past, but may do in the near future :lol:(ya know aliens, robots, alien robots and zombies, mutants, mutant zombies):

I've never seen Transformers yet, I don't know if you'll count it in as a war movie but I know its a movie worth seeing. (or the war in Harry Potter:biggrin:)Resident Evil Extinction deviated from what I used to play in PS when I was still a kid, but I'm looking forward to watch it.

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
300 is not one of the best by far; all hype and green screen. I personally enjoy Saving Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down, they were depicted quite well. Flags of our Fathers, Pearl Harbor, and The Patriot are also pretty good; Rambo and Enemy at the Gates I watch for fun, not historical accuracy

legendphil

Reaction score
hao!

I didn't judge The 300 by what I just saw, the story is amazing (for me)... I know I'm crazy, I should've bought a novel of it instead (is there? for keeps), or should've just read more books on Greek history.

Swiblet

Reaction score
300 had amazing effects, but I didn't like much of it. I like Saving Private Ryan the best, I believe. It actually made me feel for the characters, which is a rare thing.

~~Ben

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
300 was not bad, but I liked Behind Enemy Lines....Good old traditional war movie....

KowKing

Reaction score
Full Metal Jacket. Not only is it one of Stanley Kubrick's best films (A Clockwork Orange, Dr. Strangelove), but it takes you from boot camp (hilarious) to the war in Vietnam (very gore filled scenes).

alfren

Reaction score
for me its saving private ryan ^_^... its the best war movie EVER!

ultra©lubber

Reaction score
Hmm.. There is a lot of good war movies but
Saving Private Ryan
The 9th Company
are my all time favorites.

Sokota

Reaction score
The Longest Day

A good old classic with John Wayne! Woot! 3 hours too....

Sokota

rackfenix

Reaction score
mmm for me is Pearl Jarbor xD haha... noo.. there are a lot of nice movies..

alfred

Reaction score
I would love to say Saving Private Ryan... heard a lot, but never got the time to watch it. Other than that, how about Kingdom of Heaven?

manzoor

Reaction score
i will be watching 300 after eid

i havent watched that much war movies but the ones I like are Gladiator, Black Hawk Down

The Troy is also great

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
As I see it, war is a very general word.

Dont know if it qualifies, but Final Fantasy the movie. The war of Gia against the alien invaders. Still to date I am impressed with the graphics.

300 is more of a feel good movie for me, to see 300 men over come thousands just makes me feel like I can take on the world. It is a great movie though, can find few flaws in it. Graphics are perfect, the story line was from greek mythology and familiar. Overall a good movie.

Saving Private Ryan was really good, loved the almost realistic gore.

Thinking about Apocolyse Now, I think it was just a movie for a era. Really good when you put in to context when it was made (not to sure exactly, but it was around when I was born). Kinda like Clockwork Orange, not much nowadays, but in its time made a statement. This movie was in aid of the war against the man I think.

First Night was a really good medievil war movie, so was King Arthur & also The Last Legion.

Battle Royal is one of my fav. Euro Asian Extreme movies that shows the extreme war against adolecence.

The war on drugs would have to be Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas (see this as a war, because it is our right to free choice.)

Against Alien Forces, Aliens vs Predator (actually the whole Aliens range was good).

Dazz

Reaction score
Full Metal Jacket
Hamburger Hill
Apocalypse Now
Saving Private Ryan
Zulu

But I have to say FMJ is the best by far, though I remember one with Michael J Fox in it as a soldier in Vietnam who gets victimized? Anyone know which film that is? I'd love to watch that one again, Michael J getting beats LOL

EDIT - For graphics and gore though I'd have to say Starship Troopers LOL, I love that film, Carmen Electra is it hmmmm. Bad acting not the deciding factor.

Last edited:

pastortroy

Reaction score
300 is awsome.... humm war movies i like Apocalypse Now was awsome it was made in umm some time around 1970s i think im only 14 and i thought i was good

jocktalk

Reaction score
Gonna have to agree that Saving Private Ryan is one of the best war movies on here but what about some older ones and some classics.....

Glory - long but Amazing Civil War movie
All Quiet on the Western Front - old but classic

Patton - Who could forget about this great one!!!

The Bridge On the River Kwai - Also a classic

[FONT=Times, Times New Roman, Georgia]Apocalypse Now - Crazy Stuff

[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times New Roman, Georgia][/FONT][FONT=Times, Times New Roman, Georgia][/FONT]