Can I do this?

dturton40

Reaction score
Hello,

I can earn money from my site, really, cool, I gotta do some more reading / learning.

I would like to ask one of the moderators if I can use a paypal donate button on my site, I dont want to step out of the rules of X10 and am still getting used to everything available here.

I also presume it would be ok to put an x10 hosting link somewhere on my site?

Thanks and look forward to the replies, no matter how mocking they are :tongue:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Both are allowed, but make sure that the x10Hosting link doesn't make the implication that your site is endorsed, sponsored or run by x10Hosting ("powered by", "hosted with" or something similar would be fine; "brought to you by" would not). Depending on the nature of your site, though, it might not be a good idea to have a "donate" button and an "I'm getting my hosting for free" label on the same page. Not that it can't work -- I had a PayPal Donate button on a free site that (among other things) gave away code for the Lotus Domino platform, and that worked out nicely. If you are offering your visitors value, some will donate, but if it's something like a forum where (let's face it) the users themselves are providing the value and you tell them that there's no financial overhead, well, not so much.

dturton40

Reaction score
Thanks and good point about having a free hosted service then asking people to donate. I might put a little "hosted by" at the bottom of the page.
I just feel getting a web presence for free deserves a little acknowledgement on my site.

1 bad thing happens loads hear about it, when a good thing happens it tends to go unnoticed - isnt that a shame

Last edited: