Can I run a directory/search engine on free hosting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvpuppy_uk50

Reaction score
Dear x10 hosting

Taking into account your policies about resource usage and other things I decided to write to you about what I'm doing and asking for your help and/or comments. I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with anyone.

I hope to include among other things on my website, a directory/search engine for a special niche area. The spidering and inputting of information will be done entirely offline on my own local webserver. This will not overload the free hosting account in any way as it is done offline by me. Then when it is ready I'll just dump the mysql data, category by category, into the online mysql database, during spaced intervals, so as not to overload anything and stay within limits.

The directory will be written via static html files which will reduced the load even further. The only real work will be via the search engine input box which is php driven and that will query the mysql database.

Is it acceptable to all of you me doing it this way? I suppose if I find that the searching feature of the area of the website gets used too much and causes your system to flag me I can just ease the pressure with prime or even an illuminated upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

luvpuppy_uk50

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
Sounds good, please note that remote MySQL is disabled on free accounts, so you would need to update the mysql database on your site via some other mechanism.

Just keep the following in mind:
1) run the spider/indexer on a different host, as it won't be allowed on free hosting
2) the limits we have are on cpu and ram usage, as long as you can keep those down to reasonable levels (short bursts of high levels are fine, but keep them short and very spread out)
3) should you be going over your limits, you'll get suspended automatically for High Resource Usage; that would be an indicator that it might either be time to optimize your scripts or upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.