Can someone help me replace two files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcresume

Reaction score
I've inadvertently deleted two files that were there by default when I opened my hosting account yesterday. I believe that both were in the public_html directory. The first file was .htaccess and the second was smiley1.gif from the .smileys subdirectory.

Can anyone help me get fresh copies of these two files so that I can put them back? I know that the smiley1.gif file is not important but I'm a little worried that I am compromising the security on my directories due to the missing .htaccess file.

If someone can tell me where to find the original copies of the files, that would be great. In the case of the .htaccess file, if someone can just tell me the exact contents, I can just create that file myself.

Thanks!!

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I've inadvertently deleted two files that were there by default when I opened my hosting account yesterday. I believe that both were in the public_html directory. The first file was .htaccess and the second was smiley1.gif from the .smileys subdirectory.

Can anyone help me get fresh copies of these two files so that I can put them back? I know that the smiley1.gif file is not important but I'm a little worried that I am compromising the security on my directories due to the missing .htaccess file.

If someone can tell me where to find the original copies of the files, that would be great. In the case of the .htaccess file, if someone can just tell me the exact contents, I can just create that file myself.

Thanks!!

For .htaccess file create one and add these to it.

This is default
# -FrontPage-

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

DirectoryIndex index.php

<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from all
</Limit>
<Limit PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>

For smiley, it is not a problem even if you loose it.

rcresume

Reaction score
Thank you for your help!

I have created the .htaccess file with the exact contents you specified. I made a copy of smiley2.gif and called it smiley1.gif to sovle that problem. Whatever content tries to show smiley1.gif will probably show a grin where it should be showing a frown but I'm not too worried about it.

Thanks again!

By the way, I wanted to click on the star to help your reputation but it wasn't displaying anywhere on that page, including the bottom left.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Both files are generally safe to lose. I delete the .htaccess files from my accounts all the time for the root directory, but don't clear any that come with forum software. gsonline did give you some instructions on writing a new one. You can generate new smileys but visiting the HTML Editor in cPanel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.