cell processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagles051387

Reaction score
does anyont think that the cell processor will find its way into the server environment and eventually the desktop and video card environments? thinking bout that processor in a video card is giving me the shivers.

port5900

Reaction score
The Cell processor is made for game developers to write games around it. Its not made for running things like CPU applications and OS's (Windows, Linux). A Quad Core Chip has four cores to run any task. The Cell processor has one main core and I think 6 or 7 mini cores custom made to run custom task, like lighting, physics, shading and so on. If you where to have the Cell processor run Windows/Linux the mini cores would be useless since those apps wont take advantage of the mini cores. That would making the applications run slower then it would on a Quad core. So you cant have a QuadCore Vs Cell processor thing, and you cant bring the Cell processor over to CPU land. Now as a XBOX fan I would say the Cell processor is made for gaming where as the XBOX's processor is not. The XBOX's processor is just a Intel Xenon chip not custom made for gaming. Huge advantage and disadvantage for PS3. Sorry about the wall of text :happysad:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
Port is exactly right. However, nVidia recently stated that they will make a software installation of Ageia physics software that can be ported to the GPUs of nVidia 8-series graphics cards (hooray my 8600GT counts)

Status
Not open for further replies.