Copyright/Ownership

mikel2k3

Reaction score
Right...

While checking some of my statistics through awstats. I found a link to somewhere that didnt seeme right. And it turns out, somebody else has taken a site I have, got rid of my advert on there and hosted it himself for my client.

I originally made the site for free, but as she kept asking for updates too often, I asked her for a bit of money. And now she has got somebody else to host it without my permission.

It doesnt bother me that she has taken her business somewhere else, all that I am bothered about is that the hard work in Designing and Coding her site is going un-noticed and my advert is no longer on there.

So all I want to know really, is what I can do to either get this other hosting guy to take it down. Or is there other options. if so, what are they?

Link on my host: www.distrasdesigns.com/missyrodriguez
New host: www.missyrodriguez.com (http://www.biark.co.uk/~steveb/missy/index.html)

Thanks,
Mike

diabolo

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
a good idea next time you make a script to be let free into the public, or for someone, include some (c) notice in the script(css, js, php)
but in this case, if you have any of the raw files it took to make this website (.psd), it can't be any normal pictures since those can be downloaded from the website, not showing sufficient proof. But in anycase bring it upon the host, and you will most likely win

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
It's bad luck. I don't think you have any options as long as there is some identification which verifies that you are the creator and that she agreed to place your ad in exchange for you creating the site.

kajasweb

Reaction score
If you & your client have signed in "Memorandum of Understanding" & "Terms of Service", then.. You can file a legal case against her.

port5900

Reaction score
I would like to welcome you to the big boys club now. After you figure out the world is a not so nice place, and itz every man for him self; You would start making TOS and Contracts. Google search "free web designer contract" and you would find a design firm name Media Surgery and a list of others. Media Surgery is based in the UK giving away free contracts for web designers, very nice of them. Always put clients on a contract! If its Nissan Automotive or Joe's Coffee down the block, once your doing work make them sign. And never screw a client over, that same contract can come back and kick you in your @$$
-=)

http://www.mediasurgery.co.uk/2007/09/06/our-completely-free-web-design-contract-web-site-design-development-document/

P.S. If i get bored some time this year I will make an open contract for graphic/web designers to use.

Last edited:

frankfriend

Reaction score
Do you have any emails or letters from her in which she refers to your work for her? Do you have any email from her when you started the site in whgich she comments? They might assist you in proving your original authorship. As others have said, a contract and other legal documentation is so important.
Best regards
Frankfriend

mikel2k3

Reaction score
Im pretty sure I have the original psd files and some emails that prove that i made the site for her.

But i think this time ill have to let it go and be more aware of stuff in the future. And make sure I cover my own ass with stuff in the future.

Thanks for the info guys

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Im pretty sure I have the original psd files and some emails that prove that i made the site for her.
If I was in your situation, I'd release the layout as a free template to get back at her (digital version of :thefinger), and post it in as many web design/webmaster forums as possible to get lots of people using it.

The link back to you would get your site more traffic, also.

Last edited:

medphoenix

Reaction score
If I was in your situation, I'd release the layout as a free template to get back at her (digital version of :thefinger), and post it in as many web design/webmaster forums as possible to get lots of people using it.

The link back to you would get your site more traffic, also.

Yeap TIT FOR TAT
POST in freewebtemplates.com,then there will be NO ERRORS FOUND!
And make a different fake website for a while with the same template...:lockd:

Sohail

Reaction score
Well if you copyrighted it and she took it without your permission then that's illegal as far as i know..

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
If you are thinking of getting back at her, I like the ideas that have been posting about spreading the particular template of yours around the web and creating a site with the same template. But I still don't think that is going to help.