[cPanel] Forum Reinstall

Cylon

Reaction score
Howdy Folks,

This requires you to read the tutorial on how to backup your forums located Here

And to have an install of IPB already loaded up onto your hosting space, and preferably already installed/configured. If you would like me to post a tutorial on this, just ask.

This is a pretty challenging tutorial. If you have trouble at any point, just post in here or PM me and i'm willing to guide you step by step, or even do it myself.

So you now have your forum backup. That's a good thing. Your backup should end in *.sql.gz...right?

Well, What I do from then is I open the file with WinRAR, and I extract the file from within the backup. So, extract the SQL file within the backup.

Then, you usually should get a SQL file. Now, you should open the file up that you just extracted. I recommend 'metapad' to open up this file, because it's particularly good with Dos and Linux files.

So, download metapad: Here

Now that you've opened up your file, it should look like This

So, now you've got your backup file open, we're ready to be started! I suggest you login to cPanel...http://www.yourdomain.com/cpanel which should look like this , and hit 'mySQL Databases', you should get something that looks like this.

Scroll down all the way, and make a new database. Name it whatever you want. Call it 'forumbackup', if you would like...then add a user to the database. Now that you have that done, scroll down to 'Phpmyadmin', and click that. You should get a screen that looks like this.

You see on the left hand side where it says 'Databases', and there is a drop down list? Find your database that you just created, and click it.

You will be brought to a screen that looks like this.

Hit the 'SQL' button on the top, and you'll be brought to a new screen that looks like this.

So now comes the fun part! Open up your backup in metapad, and hit CTRL + A, then CTRL + C with your database! This selects all and copies it.

Now in the run SQL box in the screen you just opened, paste the database.

So, your screen should look like this now.

Deselect 'show this query here again', and hit the 'Go' below the box.

Then, if successful you should get a screen that looks like this.

Now, you're almost done!

Download conf_global.php from your forums root directory. Open this up, and change the database name to the one you just created, along with the user...if this is successful, the database should be changed to the one you backed up!

If you need ANY help, just post within this thread, and i'll help you out.

Thanks,

- Josh

Cylon

Reaction score
Yeah, I could have done better.

If anyone does have any problems though, don't hesitate, hell, I was a little dry with my tutorial...so

Any problems/questions...i'm here, waiting for my site

admans

Reaction score
wow man...really helpfull.....and posted at the rite time....will post if i get into trouble...lol..

Articz

Reaction score
nice tut there mate its taking its time to rune the query thingy could be coz i on 56kb

Cylon

Reaction score
Yeah,

That does take time. If you have a massive database, it does take time to complete.

Tyler

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Nice tutorial! But smf upgrades automatically hehe