Debian or Linux?

Matt

Reaction score
What operating system should i install on my old computer?

im kinda leaning towards linux, but have heard good of debian. im kind of in a pickle right now.

does anyone have any screenshots of debian?

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
I've never used debian, but I have been through about 4 different flavors of linux and didn't find one I didn't like. If you need a suggestion for one that is good, check out SuSE. It's a free network installation of the pro version. PM me and tell you how to do it.

izmaelis

Reaction score
You should try Ubuntu Linux. It's a numero uno distribution for begginers.

simple

Reaction score
lol.. ubuntu is a debian based linux distro O: mind blowing, you can have both! it's getting alot of praise that ubuntu for being pretty newb friendly and a great linux distro to get your feet wet with, which i've found true as its been my first linux distro, primary and only OS for about a month now, and i've learned so much.. first week or so it's like nothing but BASHHEADIN but it's fun to learn it for me so i didn't give up, as i read in another post "i gave up linux after a horror night of configuring" lol one night.. "i would've joined the nfl, but i've only played flag football wit h people in wheelchairs" is a nice analogy on quotes i could make.. i could go on with this babbling, but i'm sure you are the only person to read this far, everybody else quit back there..

bigguy

Retired
Reaction score
Ubuntu is a good linux o/s. I have also heard good things about Fedora core 3 Which is also linux. Both are supposed to be really good.

dsfreak

Reaction score
I have heard really good things about Fedora Core 3, so I would go with that. Or, like everyone else seems to say: ubuntu. Me is windows most the way, but. Heh, that is only me!

Richard

Reaction score
I love SuSE it the only Linux distro that does every thing I need it to do but its only good if you use it all the time other wise its a waste.

The better question to ask is what do you want to do with the computer and then select the best distro for the job.

snedan

Reaction score
if you never used linux before i recommend you to use Red Hat or Linux Mandrake - this are best fo noob.. and its free!

AsPeRiTy

Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong... Linux is free?

Also I have a friend who loves linux so i would suggest that.

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
AsPeRiTy said:
Correct me if im wrong... Linux is free?

Also I have a friend who loves linux so i would suggest that.
To answer your question. Yes, most linux distrobutions are free. Normally the fee you might pay for a copy is for support.

And if you had bothered to read the thread, you would have realized that Debian is a linux distro.
From www.debian.org
Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer. An operating system is the set of basic programs and utilities that make your computer run. Debian uses the Linux kernel (the core of an operating system), but most of the basic OS tools come from the GNU project; hence the name GNU/Linux.

manta

Reaction score
linux is a kernel (made by Linus Torvalds), the core of the operating system. debian, suse, slackware, knoppix, mandriva/mandrake, redhat, etc. use linux kernel.

I use mandrake 10.1 community. It's good and easy to install. Hey, I'm newbie too :eek:riginal:

dsfreak

Reaction score
Having never used Linux, I'm not sure what you should use. Lol, I have not used debian either, lol

Iceman

Reaction score
I have heard a LOT of good things about Mandrake/Mandriva Linux, so I'd highly suggest that. I also hear it's an easy installation and easy to use.

In the meantime, I suggest using this once or twice before you download a distro:

http://www.linuxsurvival.com

n4tec

Reaction score
I agree with The_Magistrate that most Linux distributions are free...

Later today am going to teach my self Linux... I have had the CD for long but Today i will have to learn about Linux...