Diesel fumes can affect your brain, scientists say

hypochondriac

Reaction score
LONDON (Reuters) - Inhaling diesel exhaust triggers a stress response in the brain that may have damaging long-term effects on brain function, Dutch researchers said on Tuesday.
[

Previous studies have found very small particles of soot, or nanoparticles, are able to travel from the nose and lodge in the brain. But this is the first time researchers have demonstrated a change in brain activity.
"We can only speculate what these effects may mean for the chronic exposure to air pollution encountered in busy cities where the levels of such soot particles can be very high," said lead researcher Paul Borm from Zuyd University.
"It is conceivable that the long-term effects of exposure to traffic nanoparticles may interfere with normal brain function and information processing."
Borm and his team put 10 volunteers in a room filled with exhaust from a diesel engine for one hour and monitored their brain waves with an electroencephalograph (EEG). The level of fumes was similar to that found on a busy road or in a garage.
After about 30 minutes, brain wave patterns displayed a stress response, suggesting changes in information processing in the brain cortex.
Further research is needed to determine the clinical effect of this stress and whether it has any long-term impact on verbal and non-verbal intelligence or memory abilities.
Still, the result appears to be another black mark for nanoparticles found in traffic fumes, which have already been linked with increased rates of respiratory and cardiovascular disease.
The study was published in the journal Particle and Fibre Toxicology and is available online at http://www.particleandfibretoxicology.com/

Link

I always knew diesel fumes were bad for your lungs, but never suspected they affected your brain.

Last edited:

Dan

Reaction score
I always knew diesel fumes were bad for your lungs, but never suspected they affected your brain.
Me too!!
Why just diesel... Why not normal Petrol as well? They both have small soot particles don't they.

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
I think the study was just on those types of fumes. Most any fumes are toxic to the body in some way, shape or form. Each toxin affects the body in different ways.
CO2 hampers oxygen to the blood stream, making you sleepy and, sooner than later, will kill you if its not taken away.

FalseHope

Reaction score
Why would you do a study on this? Isn't it common sense to know this? Of course it's going to affect your brain, maybe the people doing the test need a brain check too? :p

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I like the smell of Diesel fumes:). If they can or not, people are around them all day (construction workers, truck drivers, diesel technicians, etc) ... are we going to drop using the idea because of this?

Also, might I add, if you are in a room with Diesel fumes for one hour, you should be getting a new job. Most shops and such have vents + exhaust hoses so that the fumes aren't exposed to technicians as they work on the vehicles.

Last edited:

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Why would you do a study on this? Isn't it common sense to know this? Of course it's going to affect your brain, maybe the people doing the test need a brain check too? :p

Why? Because some group of scientists had money to spend. They do research studies on the strangest things it seems.

hypochondriac

Reaction score

They needed to prove it. Common sense isn't enough. Now they will probably research ways to reduce the effect of the fumes. Either different ways of burning the fuel or limits on exposure.

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
They needed to prove it. Common sense isn't enough. Now they will probably research ways to reduce the effect of the fumes. Either different ways of burning the fuel or limits on exposure.

Corn oil conversation?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
And I've kind of known this since when I was 4 years old lol. Why research again on something that already has been proven? Heck, even the green diesel stuff is still a bit dirty, but it surely does give off less fumes. But yet again, I don't see many people using that fuel either.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I thought the odor from gas and diesel was purposely put in so we could know that it was there.. but still not suprised by the findings

Brandon

Community Support
Reaction score
I thought the odor from gas and diesel was purposely put in so we could know that it was there.. but still not suprised by the findings

That's the smell of burnt gas\diesel; your thinking of acetylene!

Last edited:

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
And I've kind of known this since when I was 4 years old lol. Why research again on something that already has been proven? Heck, even the green diesel stuff is still a bit dirty, but it surely does give off less fumes. But yet again, I don't see many people using that fuel either.
http://www.illwillpress.com/acci.html
Foamy's rant about pointless studies that tell us what we already know.