Different Link Classes

Zenax

Reaction score
Hey

How would I have one link one colour, and hover to another then set another link to two completly different colours!!

Regards,
Zenax

The_Magistrate

Reaction score
Easiest way to do this is using CSS. Anchors have pseudo classes called hover which allow you to specify what the link looks like when you pass your mouse over it. For example:

Code:
<head>
<style>
a { /* Specify what we want the default color of *all* our anchors (links) to be */
color : black;
}

a#link1:hover { /* Specify what we want the anchor with the id=link1 to look like when we hover over it. */
color : red;
}

a#link2:hover { /* Specify what we want the anchor with the id=link2 to look like when we hover over it. */
color : blue;
}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<a href="#" id="link1">My Link #1</a><br/>

<a href="#" id="link2">My Link #2</a>
</body>

The above code should work in all modern CSS supporting browsers (IE, Firefox, Safari, Opera...)

EDIT: You can also specify individual default (non-hover) colors by omitting the ":hover" from the CSS like this:
Code:
a#link1 { /* We'll set the default color to the anchor with id=link1 to be an ugly lime color. */
color : lime;
}

Notice that styles cascade (hence, Cascading Style Sheets), so if you put the specific "a#link1" style after the global "a" style, the specific one will override the global for just that instance.

Last edited: