Do my parents treat me like a baby?

• yes

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • no

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

MarioMaster

Reaction score
Hi, I'm 12 (going on 13), and my parents still treat me like a preschooler. They think I'd be on the computer 24/7 (which isn't true, I have a life), so they set a stupid time limit. It pisses me off, and I can only use the computer 2 hours a day. That's not a whole lot in my eyes. I want more independence, I'm working for it, but my parents still won't give it to me. How do I get my parents to give me more independence (both with the computer and in life)?

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
The only way (or easiest way) would be for you to post a typical day schedule with the limit and your schedule if you had no limit.
For me in the school year, I have my own limit because school takes priority over the computer.

Reaction score
My mum did the same. "You can go on for three hours" - it happened for what? Two nights then it went to normal - this was when I was 14/15 though. She wanted to use the computer more so this past christmas her and my Dad teamed up to buy me a computer. This means I can be on it whenever I like (obviously within reason), not have to have it all cluttered with her rubbish, I can keep it "clean", I can put the things I NEED on it - making it still run quick.

Just give it time.

Nathan H

Reaction score
My parents tried when i was youger to impose a time limit, it never worked. I have nothing to do atm except my ptjob so im spending about 30-40hours now on the computer

withambition

Reaction score
If your parents feel that a time limit is necessary, then it's probably best to just follow through with it. If you earn their trust, they'll eventually lessen the time limit or completely abolish it. Everything gets worse before it gets better. =]

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I suggest you optimize your websurfing, i.e. choose websites you plan to visit, etc.

It's for your own good in the long run. School has a greater priority over the computer

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm on the computer 24/7 all the time. That's because my parents don't mind it and because I actually have 6 computers to myself (including my gaming computer I built myself) since everyone in my house just love to fight over one computer and not use the other ones, except the ones in my room (3 out of the 7 computers I have are in my room). If anything, getting off sooner for a while might show them that you can handle unlimited use. If they don't budge, buy a PSP and hope there is unsecured WiFi there.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I must agree with Spartan Erik; this is to benefit you in the long run.
But once everyone is in bed, I do surf on my iPod sometimes. :biggrin:

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I have a time limit (2 hours), but it isn't enforced very strictly (I'm usually on for 4 or 5 in the weekends).

I'm planning on having wifi on my next phone though. :biggrin:

Last edited:

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Save up a bit and buy a budget computer/laptop - Thats what I did - once I had my laptop I could spend as long as I wanted/needed to. Of course school work came first, but after that it was free.

Alex

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
But of course, don't forget. If your parent's won't get a Wi-Fi router and they do check your modem, you best hope that some neighbor forgot to secure their wireless or you ask a neighbor for their security key if you get your own PC for sneaking on to.

MarioMaster

Reaction score
My mum did the same. "You can go on for three hours" - it happened for what? Two nights then it went to normal - this was when I was 14/15 though. She wanted to use the computer more so this past christmas her and my Dad teamed up to buy me a computer. This means I can be on it whenever I like (obviously within reason), not have to have it all cluttered with her rubbish, I can keep it "clean", I can put the things I NEED on it - making it still run quick.

Just give it time.

I have my own computer. My parents set it up so that I can't go on longer than 2 hours.

If your parents feel that a time limit is necessary, then it's probably best to just follow through with it. If you earn their trust, they'll eventually lessen the time limit or completely abolish it. Everything gets worse before it gets better. =]

Apparently, I've earned their trust. That's what my dad says. He thinks it has nothing to do with trust. I'd probably use it at least 3 but no more than 4 hours a day. I also have a PSP, and it connects to our Wi-Fi. I've never found it for anything useful but school work, since I can't watch Youtube videos, play games, or work on my website (which is currently down for huge updates). Though I suppose I could edit my website with the built-in editor with cPanel's File Manager.

Last edited:

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Though I suppose I could edit my website with the built-in editor with cPanel's File Manager.

The Editior relies on a lot of JavaScript and AJAX. PSPs HATE JavaScript and they don't do AJAX.

kkenny

Reaction score
My parents really don't care about my usage, because I usually instead go out to hang out or workout. I guess I use the computer less than... 15 hours a week. Only when I'm cramming for making projects/reports/essays I go above 15 hours. My parents are pretty lenient on this issue.

intertec

Reaction score
I don't get time limit at all. My dad always says if you get good grades I'll let you buy stuff for the computer and let you go on it as much as you want! That's why I'm getting quad core and new gpu very soon. hehe!

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I think I'm quite lucky, I have my own Laptop and I don't have any time limits etc.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I think I'm quite lucky, I have my own Laptop and I don't have any time limits etc.

Same. Provided I get my work done and make sure this place is reasonably tidy (I have a habit of turning my room into a complete crap hole) I'm allowed to use it whenever I feel like it. I need it a lot for my school work, the arcade work and x10, I think they've finally realised this.

-Luke.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
The only thing that gets messy in my room is my bed. Other than that, the 3 computers that are in my room are pretty much in one spot and kept neat, along with all of my networking equipment in there as well. Yeah, my room gets pretty warm :p.

By the way, I have another computer coming to me soon. That'd mean I'd have 8 computers in my house now, and 7 of which all belong to me lol.